Question

Connected via T-mobile - US

• 2 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just started noticing this over a month ago and will do my best to explain.  I’ve had T-mobile home internet for a very long time and just recently I’ve seen what appears to be a duplicate WIFI.  For example, I’ve setup my Wifi name as “JuanWifi”, and so I only expect to see my wifi broadcast “JuanWifi” and I too expect to only be able to connect to “JuanWifi” since I have it configured in my phone - but I do not have it autoconnect.   However, I noticed that my phone has connected to another wifi called “JuanWifi” and right below it a description that says, “Connected via T-mobile - US”.    I too see my own recognizable wifi as “JuanWifi” and my phone clearly shows I’m not connected to it and that the wifi is secured and locked with password.  Why or how can my phone connect to another wifi that looks like mine but yet says “Connected via T-mobile - US”?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Is one for 2.4 and the other for 5g?

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

The very first thing to do is establish what the IP address is of the one you created as well as the second network with the same name. If they both have the same address pattern (192.168.12.x) and the external IPs are the same, than at least you know that you haven't been hacked and that both addresses are coming from your gateway. 

If that’s the case, then the question that @gramps28 asked becomes important. Did you split the two networks or is it set to Auto?

The simplest thing to do would be to restart the gateway and see if this anomaly comes back. If that doesn't change or eliminate your problem, I'd try a reset.

Hope some of this advice helps. Good luck!

T-Mobile should be present in these discussions. No?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

T-Mobile should be present in these discussions. No?

This is basically a user to user forum with some tmobile moderation so there's not a Tmobile presence on the board at set times.

JuanDice: You can go to your software applications store (Google or apple) and download the free “Network Analyzer” whose icon is a square divided into four squares; top left is three network boxes; top right is three concentric rings; lower left is radiating lines from a centrral point; lower right: arrows passing each other in opposite directions. Copyright by Jiri Techet.  This dandy software will tell you a lot: Try the “LAN Scan” which gives you the IP number of your router and it SHOULD MATCH the iP printed on the ported side of the router. That app also shows you what’s connected to your router. Also check your MAC addresses which are like electronic license plates

That said, there’s maybe someone here who knows more about the IP addresses. It appears there’s one for 2.4GHz and a different one for 5GHz in addition to the gateway’s ethernet cable if you have one. I have NOT confirmed this statement since I have three different but related IP numbers showing up. It would be great to hear from T-Mob on how to login to the router, and turn off/on various connected devices. Anybody got that down? I don’t.

There are numerous additional apps you can check your network with including Fing, and WIFIman,