Solved

Connecting an Amazon FireStick to the T-Mobil Home Wifi Internet router

Badge

Connecting an Amazon FireStick to the T-Mobil Home Wifi Internet router? Can it be done.  I purchased the new T-Mobil home wifi internet, and tried connecting it, but it didn't allow me.  It would not verify my password and connect. I called T-Mobil customer service and this simply question could not be answered, since I got the tech that literally didn’t speak English. What I understood from her horrible explanation in broken English that didn’t make sense was that I needed to call Amazon and request an upgrade to connect.

I was so frustrated with this poor tech support, that I figured it could not be done, so I returned the T-Mobil router and canceled the service. But now I am reading similar articles, that make it seem that you can connect a Firestick to the T-Mobil Home Internet router. PLEASE HELP, any competent people left out there, since I don’t want to be stuck with my current overpriced and horrible service internet provider (Spectrum).        

icon

Best answer by Deanc52 8 July 2022, 18:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can replace the micro-USB cable with an adapter with Ethernet built-in. All you really need is the Ethernet Adapter for Fire TV Stick Chromecast Ultra/2/1/Audio Google Home Mini. You can get one from Amazon for ~$14.00 which should do the job. Using an Ethernet cable to make the connection takes the wireless out of the equation so you need an Ethernet cable long enough to reach a T-Mobile gateway or an Ethernet switch connected to the gateway in order to do it. In reality it is much simpler to use a wired Ethernet connection as the negotiation with authentication is taken out of the equation. 

If you can still get a place on the tower and get another gateway then you should be in business. In some places, like where I live, once the tower connections are used there is a queue for getting access. Pulling the plug in frustration might have been a mistake.

I haven’t had any problem connecting two Firesticks to my T mobile router. I have connected them both directly to the router and also to my Eero mesh router which I have hard wired to the T mobile router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I only suggested the Ethernet adapter as I have seen some conversations where there have been issues with “some” of the Firestick streaming devices and the wired connection is usually a pretty solid resolution. I found I get better bandwidth with my Xbox wired than wireless mainly due to proximity to the gateway. Each user situation tends to be a little different. There is a fair amount of information online regarding making the devices connect. It is not too hard to locate numerous resources on the matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

iTinkeralot Makes a good point with the options to connect through ethernet with an adapter. If you have the devices in good proximity, that could totally work. I wonder if you could also split the networks from the gateway so it shows the 2.4 and 5 GHz separately, and then connect that way. Usually that is the issue because some devices can’t see one network or the other, so if they aren’t split, they don’t see anything at all. 

TL:DR There are a few options to make it work for you :) 

Badge

This discussion has really helped me. I got my adapter to connect Ethernet to the gateway. But, my tv shows the firetv logo and the “…” but it never moves past this screen. 

please help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This discussion has really helped me. I got my adapter to connect Ethernet to the gateway. But, my tv shows the firetv logo and the “…” but it never moves past this screen. 

please help!

Getting stuck on a loading screen is the WORST!!

1. I’m sure you have tried the normal stuff to reboot, unplug/replug, etc. Does the device have a hard reset button? I usually like to reset devices if I can when I am working with network stuff because then you don’t have to worry about if the device is remembering and trying to connect to the old network. 
  2. Have you tested that ethernet connection with another device to make sure the cord/connection are working. Different ethernet cords have different capabilities and you could have a cord that is not compatible with the adapter you got (i.e. Cat-6, Cat-8, etc.) Worth taking a look at..

I hope this helps. 

I tried to connect my AMAZON FIRE STICK (2nd Gen./2016/Fire OS: 5.2.9.5) on T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway (KVD21) WiFi.
* Would not connect to the TMobile 5G Home Internet.
* Rebooted and tried again. No Connection.
* Went into TMobile Home Internet app to create a new SSID and split out the band to the 2.4Ghz. It connects then times out. Can't get through to the Internet.
* Reset the stick and tried again. Nothing.
* Factory reset and tried connecting to Home Internet 5G (2.4 band) again. Nothing!
* Set up and connect to my Cell Phone Hotspot. Worked! Decided to update the Firestick Firmware.
* Tried reconnecting once again to TMobile 5G Home Internet on the 2.4Ghz band. Times out. Still won't connect.

--All options would not connect. Only by Hotspot from cell phone. I think my Firestick may have been jail broken. Would this make any difference? I’ve had this Firestick for over six years and never had a problem connecting to other wifi settings (ie; Xfinity, Quest/DSL, hotspot, etc.). No other idea why it will not connect to the T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway.

@Elvisfile  What T-Mobile gateway did you have?Also what password were you using to connect to the gateway?The WiFi password if you didn’t know is on the gateway sticker.

Hope you got it resolved.

My Gateway went from 3 to 2 bars. Customer service said matainance in the area. Working on it. Can’t say when it will be done. Extender tp-link AX 1500 stopped working. Firestick will not recognize Gateway password. The extender will not come back on line. Maybe the extender  is toast. My issues are 2 bars and the Firestick not recognizing the Gateway password.

I am using an Amazon firestick connected via wifi to T-Mobile home internet. Would connect to the network but no internet. Using the T-Mobile app, I saw the device was turned off. Turned it on using the app and it worked.

Thank you for the help.