Question

Creating SSID's when adding a router

• 10 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

When adding a router to the TMobile gateway and turning off the gateway wifi, should the SSID names be the same on the router as the gateway?  If not, and you leave the wife on the gateway on as well, does that cause conflicts?

Bottom line, what’s the best way to set up the wifi when using a router?

5 replies

Userlevel 1

I just plugged in my router and left everything the same.  Didn’t turn off gateway’s wifi.  Everything has worked fine for 2 months.  I left the gateway’s wifi on so I can connect directly if I choose too. 

Badge

Hmmm, I’ve tried that and wifi is pretty good but the ethernet sucks and I need a good portion of my network to run on ethernet.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Userlevel 1

What do you mean?   Are your speed results different via your router wifi and devices connected to your router via ethernet?

Badge

Very much so. I’ve got Cat 6 cable going from the gateway to the ASUS XD4 then to a switch and I get about 280 down with wifi and very different speeds each time I check from 85 down to literally almost nil.

I have ethernet backhaul checked and it really doesn’t matter if I use it or not. I do have computers that aren’t wireless and need the wired connection. I’ve not yet tried AP mode but I do have another router coming in today that I want to try that’s also an ASUS WifI 6 but not a mesh system.

Makes no sense to my simple mind.

Userlevel 1

My router is also an Asus mesh, but it is older.  Some of my devices are also attached to the router via a switch.  I do not notice any difference between the wifi and the switched connections.  I do not know what to suggest.