Solved

External Antenna

Badge

I just got T-Mobile home Internet and the service is slow, I'm only getting 2-10 mbs download and 1-4 mbs upload. My house is around 1.5 miles from the tower and the Gateway only shows 4G, will an external antenna help me? I don't mind trying it but I don't want to want to waste my time and money on something that won't work. I do have the newest Gateway with external antenna ports. Thanks 

icon

Best answer by nc1037 17 March 2024, 13:40

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I would experiment with other locations for the gateway in your home.  It should on your highest floor, near a window.  You can try rotating the unit.

For the best information on the external antennas, seek out Nater Tater on YouTube.  He tested several antennas and positions just yesterday.   I have watched quite a few of his videos.  My impression is that the gateway that supports external antennas isn’t all that good.  I have one of the older models (Sagemcom FAST 5688W) and my service has been excellent - there is no need for me to try anything else.  Good luck. 🍀

Badge

I placed the Gateway in the attic beside a vent pointing towards the tower, nothing but screen and some vinyl between it and outside not much change in speed. I can't get any higher. I don't mind spending time and money on an antenna if it works. I've been watching a lot of NaterTater videos but he has a decent signal to start with. This is what I'm working with.

Second time hoping to use T-Mobile for cell service AND now as ISP. Seeing that T-Mobile advertises my area just outside Bozeman, MT as having EXCELLENT 5G service, I obtained the newer generation Gateway (white case, option for attachable antenna) took it home and ran a few tests, after the sales manager in my store did an OOKLA Speedtest (Wi-Fi to the demo gateway in the store, T-Mobile 5G internet access), receiving a download rate of about 790 mbits/sec.

At home, I used the VERY nice T-Mobile app to find the best available location (3-bars 5G at a window) for the gateway, then compared my results with my current ISP’s cable-based 1 gbit/sec service. Unfortunately, I could not exceed 40 gbits/sec, and UL rates were abysmal. I still like the concept and the pricing (especially when one includes the zero-cost streaming services. I returned my device, but I still have a few questions:

1. What’s the purpose of the 4 coax inputs
  2. Ditto for the 2 RJ-45 inputs
  3. Is there a public source to learn about future network expansion plans (so that I can time my next visit to a T-Mobile store, and perhaps replacement iPhones
  4. Can an external antenna make a dramatic difference?
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

(1) for a separate antenna to improve 5G reception.  It does not need to be obtained from T-Mobile.

(2) The Ethernet ports are for directly connecting a computer, or a Wi-Fi router (perhaps your old router.)

(3) Network expansion:  Not that I have seen!

(1) (4) See Nater Tater on YouTube  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Are you not connected by 5G? Do you have your 5G Advanced Cellular Metrics numbers to look at?

I DID connect by  5G, although I did not record the Advanced Cellular Metrics.

One other thing about the new white Gateway device. Its very simple screen resembles a mirror when not powered up, and when the device is placed next to a window as recommended, it’s virtually impossible to read the screen against a sunny outdoor background.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I DID connect by  5G, although I did not record the Advanced Cellular Metrics.

One other thing about the new white Gateway device. Its very simple screen resembles a mirror when not powered up, and when the device is placed next to a window as recommended, it’s virtually impossible to read the screen against a sunny outdoor background.

Post the numbers otherwise no one has any idea what's going on to help.

Badge

Are you not connected by 5G? Do you have your 5G Advanced Cellular Metrics numbers to look at?

I don't know who you directed the question to but I can't get a 5G connection even though the coverage map shows my address in 5G extended. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don't know who you directed the question to but I can't get a 5G connection even though the coverage map shows my address in 5G extended. 

Oh sorry I was directing to you. So you're not getting 5G connection at all. Only LTE?

Badge

Oh sorry I was directing to you. So you're not getting 5G connection at all. Only LTE?

Yes. 

Badge

I don't understand I'm showing very good signal but my speeds are terrible with the gateway outside, at one location outside I was able to get a 5G signal but not much change in speed. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I don't understand I'm showing very good signal but my speeds are terrible with the gateway outside, at one location outside I was able to get a 5G signal but not much change in speed. 

The RSRP shows “Fair” getting close to the range “Poor” S/B around -89 or more to be excellent. Like - 81 or -80. Your SINR is 8.1 where as mine is 27. RSQR is “good” range. I got these numbers here. https://powerfulsignal.com/support/knowledgebase/awareness/whats-the-difference-between-cell-signal-strength-and-cell-signal-quality/

Badge

The RSRP shows “Fair” getting close to the range “Poor” S/B around -89 or more to be excellent. Like - 81 or -80. Your SINR is 8.1 where as mine is 27. RSQR is “good” range. I got these numbers here. https://powerfulsignal.com/support/knowledgebase/awareness/whats-the-difference-between-cell-signal-strength-and-cell-signal-quality/

Thanks for the link. I'm at a loss on to keep trying or give up.