Question

Geeni camera

• 2 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I just got T-Mobile's 5G wireless internet about a week ago hooked up my tvs, phone, laptop just fine have a strong connection however I have a small geenie camera in my apartment that I use to watch my dog when I am away. Have not been able to connect that as of yet have spoken to the manufacturer and customer service of the camera everything is fine on that end have spoke to T-Mobile numerous times they've created a ticket looking into why it won't connect they did have me separate the 2.4 from the 5 but it still won't connect. I saw the comments about old printers and wondered if this might be the same type issue and does anyone know how I can resolve this thanks for your help.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Your problem is pretty common among T-Mobile Internet users. This usually fixes the problem.

Try adding a new WiFi network for the camera. Use the T-Mobile app and tap the Network tab on the bottom, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your camera. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. Also, make sure the Hidden switch is set to the Off position. Scroll down and tap Save. Your gateway will restart.

Once the gateway is back up, go to your camera’s setup page and clear out all of the information you originally entered for its setup and then create your wireless connection to your new WiFi network.

Good luck!

Badge

Your problem is pretty common among T-Mobile Internet users. This usually fixes the problem.

Try adding a new WiFi network for the camera. Use the T-Mobile app and tap the Network tab on the bottom, then the “+” button on the lower right. Create a new 2.4 GHz WiFi network with a unique name (SSID), just for your camera. Make sure the WPA type is WPA/WPA2. This is different from your main network which, by default, is WPA2/WPA3. Also, make sure the Hidden switch is set to the Off position. Scroll down and tap Save. Your gateway will restart.

Once the gateway is back up, go to your camera’s setup page and clear out all of the information you originally entered for its setup and then create your wireless connection to your new WiFi network.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for your response and the information. On the phone with T-Mobile tech support they did have me create a different network with the 2.4 actually twice we did two different ones but now as far as the WPA where you speak of that I'm not sure that got switched because this is like talking Chinese to me LOL so I'll probably have to get someone to help me follow the instructions you've listed above because again this is kind of Greek to me but I will do my best and I again appreciate you so much.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@KKehoe, it's really easy to do. WPA is the level of security that is part of the WiFi signal. WPA2/WPA3 is the latest standard, but unfortunately, a lot of older devices (and older can mean just a few years) can't see the latest security and therefore the WiFi network needs to be downgraded.

Anyway, it really is pretty easy to create a new network with the parameters from above. Give it a shot and you may surprise yourself!

@bocaboy2591 I have been trying for months. This info helped me connect one camera but now it won’t connect to the other camera any ideas? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Are both cameras the same brand and model? It definitely can be easily done. I have six security cameras in my home, and to make matters more complicated, they're not all from the same manufacturer.

What specific error message are you getting? Were you able to create the lower security network I described originally?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

At risk of stating the obvious...if the cameras are the same brand (and running the same firmware), it could just be your second camera is out of WiFi range of where you put the TM router,

In your T-Mobile app, create a second WiFi for your camera under manage gateway. Login into that to set your camera and give the second WiFi a name under ssid