Question

Has anyone else needed their internet gateway replaced?

• 7 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

(I apologize in advance for the novel. I rarely use forums, but figured I’d try this out!) 

So about an hour and a half ago, I noticed the wifi was down. I checked my gateway, and saw that it had kicked off every device in my house. I did the “troubleshooting” via the site, but to no avail. 😭 

Then I called customer service for the home internet. After 30 more mins of troubleshooting, the customer service guy told me to factory reset it, via the lil button above the Ethernet cable port. Did that, and then the gateway started acting wonky, and would not stay on. I’d have to hold in the on/off switch, for it to boot back up. Though when I’d release the switch, it’d just turn back off. So the customer service guy concluded that it’s not my surrounding cell towers, it’s the gateway itself that needs replaced.

I will add, that, of course AFTER I got off of the phone, I was fiddling with the gateway more; and got it to turn on. At first it had my SSID I assigned it, and my phone connected automatically. Then suddenly, the gateway restarted itself, and went back to not appearing, therefore not allowing anything to connect to it. Cuz, ya know, we can’t manage the device without the home internet app, and that app doesn’t work unless your phone is connected to the gateways Wi-Fi. 😂

To me this is annoying, cuz I barely had this service for 6 months. I was paroozing the other forums here, and saw some folks talking about specific ways to “upkeep” the gateways. Maybe I just didn’t properly care for it? It seems these things are not built to last. All in all I just wanted to see if anyone else has had to get gateway replacements often? If yes, what was the cause? Should I expect this to be a common thing?

2 replies

I had issues with my T-Mobile internet cutting on and off , unable to add printer, everything. I’d think it was fixed and it would only work a couple of days. I replaced the router and everything worked great for about 2 weeks then noticed my app was constantly buffering. I still couldn’t connect printer so I  called Hewlett-Packard and they went to network wizard set up and that thankfully fixed most of problems 🤔! There were still a few issues but with network fixed correctly I could fix them. Hope this might help. I’m sorry to say this but T-Mobile has never been able to help me with issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have been using the Nokia gateway since the first part of January 2021 & I really do nothing special to it. If I sense some issues & data transfers are slower I might reboot it but that is pretty much it. The system updates are delivered and it reboots with a mind of its own so I just go with it. Here our home is not very dusty so I seldom even give dust build up much thought. When we were living in northern CA the dust was terrible so I had to often clean out the electronics. There are no fans in either the Nokia or the Arcadyan gateway so even that is not a factor. 

There are often posts where users have received more than one gateway and/or had issues with a given gateway but not everyone has issues with their gateway. I am sure Nokia and Arcadyan both have expected failure rates but they are not going to share those with the public. If you have to do “upkeep” on the gateway then mine is maybe at risk as I just leave it be and it works. I tend to follow the rule, Don’t poke a sleeping dog!