Solved

HELP - Can't Connect Amazon Fire TV to Gateway

• 4 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

So Amazon Fire TV streaming device should be a simple connection, but I can’t get it to connect to internet.  According to my Amazon instructions -- I can connect using the ethernet hardwire connection to the T-Mobile Gateway and follow network setting prompts.  But after following the prompts and entering the numbers that appear on the screen,  I get a failure to connect to internet message.

I’ve searched online and YouTube vids and I’ve yet to find anything showing how to remedy this specifically.  If I can’t get the streaming device to connect,  I might as well return the device and go back to my cable modem with Optimum since it was working fine with that.

Anyone have any similar issues with a solution?

TIA

icon

Best answer by copz1998 4 March 2024, 02:53

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@AgenDavid here is a link to a similar thread about TMHI and Fire TV connectivity: 

Make sure the Fire TV connection is enabled on the TM Gateway. Restart both the Gateway and the Fire TV simultaneously for a fresh connection. Finally, check the security setting for the SSID the Fire TV connects to - WPA2 seems to be a good connection. 

Let us know if this works.  

Badge

“Make sure the Fire TV connection is enabled on the TM Gateway.”

Not exactly sure how to go about that … according to previous Amazon TV guide -- should be a “plug and play” situation where the Amazon device gets recognized automatically when plugged in.

“Finally, check the security setting for the SSID the Fire TV connects to - WPA2 seems to be a good connection.”

Well again… the gateway has automatic settings -- so this shouldn’t be a manual selection from everything I’ve read.   I’ve spent quite a bit of time on this and I’m quite amazed the T-Mobile site doesn’t have a specific “how-to” video or diagram on this or other streaming devices.  Very little except just set up by a window or bookshelf, connect the power and download the app.    Since I’m testing this out for two weeks...my gut tells me this is not working as anticipated and I should just go ahead and return this to my nearest T-Mobile store.

Very disappointing experience

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@AgenDavid generally, my experience has been plug-n-play. However, there are different use cases. If you are unable to get your Fire TV to talk with the TM Gateway, then you might want to take the gateway back to the TM store and ask for an exchange unit. 

Just to confirm, the TM Gateway will connect to other devices like your phone, tablet, or computer?