Question

Home Internet and VPN

• 13 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge

I recently started using a Home Internet trashcan gateway. I am a data center admin and while working from home, have to have a VPN connection open all day into my employer's network to work.

I can't reliably connect to my employers VPN, though. I frequently get unstable connection messages in Zoom, RDP, and other applications I need to frequent.. I'll see my rdp sessions crash and then sometimes the VPN kind of halts without disconnecting. If I disconnect and reconnect then it's okay for a little bit. If I hotspot with my phone, my VPN is rock solid all day. I called support and they had a supervisor downgrade my trashcan to a lower firmware that "works" with VPN. That only lasted a day before it upgraded back to the latest firmware.

What do I need to do to be able to keep a stable vpn connection? I love the gateway, but if I can't do my work, I can't keep using it. Especially with my kids starting school in a couple weeks, knowing there's a possibility that they'll go virtual at some point this coming fall/winter.

5 replies

Badge

The gray trashcans have some VPN problems. You will see that if you search through this forum for awhile.The T-Mobile Home Internet works fine for me on all my devices except for an employer issued laptop that goes through a Cisco VPN to access work remotely. The work involves a lot of remote stored spreadsheets that won’t load their rows of data. My old AT&T Internet 10 Plan (supposedly inferior technology) works fine with loading the data on this laptop. Hopefully there will be a firmware update at some point, it doesn’t seem like the wheel needs to be reinvented since other, older technology is doing the job. I’ll wait for a reasonable period of time but I can’t pay for 2 internet plans forever.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

There system is already using a psuedo VPN kind of setup already... an XLAT464 "tunnel".  So there is some funky sort of CGNAT/VPN kind of thing going on.

The MTU gets dropped to 1420 as a result, which o ly leaves a 1380 MSS to work with.  MIGHT get the VPN to behave again if you can manually configure it to use a 1380 or lower MSS.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Looks like a new firmware is coming out that is said to address more VPN issues as well as some screwy band selection problems.

have these issues been worked out so all VPN’s work on this unit? Thanks!

Badge

Nope, still have an issue if your work’s VPN doesn’t support IPV6 as it seems the t mobile router doesn’t work as IPV4.