Question

Home Internet failing

• 3 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi everyone! I have been through hell trying to get the most consistent service using my new home internet setup.  I initially had the grey cylinder and through some troubleshooting / research / 20+ hours on the phone with fairly useless tech support via the Philipenes, have recently gotten a second line with the Arkadian model.  

I just set up the new device yesterday and am extremely frustrated.  The signal keeps dropping although it’s in a location where it is usually “very good,”  it will suddenly drop to “No Signal.” Even when it is working, I am not getting anywhere near the speeds from the grey cylinder + a TP-link wifi router that seemed to boost the signal a good bit. I usually connect directly to the black box with a good ethernet cord - that seems to have been the more reliable route but with this new model, I’m concerned that might overwhelm/overheat it.  I’ve already fried one device so I do have a fan under the unit and am careful to keep it out of direct sunlight, away from routers/other devices, etc. Does anyone know what the best way to connect is - WiFi or Ethernet?  My job relies on very consistent and fast upload bitrate so ultimately that is the goal...  So far, I’ve tried everything I could except reaching out here so I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask! 

Dropped signal before I was able to post this originally and I’m about to lose my mind!!! Any/all advice would be very helpful - thanks!!!

2 replies

Hello, im experiencing the same. I have had all three gateway models.  My device was good until yesterday. I have called tmobil , had 4 “tickets” made for resolution, to no avail. I even wrote the ceo an email which he answered and forwarded to his team. Still same problem without resolution. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I recall some conversations about the gigabit Ethernet interfaces NOT providing anywhere close to gigabit speeds. I saw the posts and I believe, as best I can recall, they were related to the Sagemcon which is the squarish black gateway. You should confirm the Ethernet ports are working properly by using two clients and do speed testing between them. Investigate basic testing tools that are free.

https://4sysops.com/archives/free-network-speed-test-tools/

I have used iPerf in the past and it seems to be reliable. It depends upon which tool you feel most comfortable with in the end. What works for you is the best choice.