Question

Home Internet Gaming Connection Issue

• 27 December 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve had t mobile home internet for about a week and the download speeds are actually amazing. and streaming tv doesnt skip a beat, I have no complaints on that end. I’m impressed to say the least. but the whole purpose of buying this gaming computer and getting internet was to game online. Anytime I try play gta v online, fortnite, red dead online, pretty much any online game, I connect to a server for about 10 seconds - a minute and I get a timeout connection failed message. I noticed on all games it says my NAT type is strict which I know isnt good for online gaming. I accessed the t mobile router settings to see if I could change the NAT settings or forward some ports but there is literally no options to change the settings. Before I cancel my service this is my last option to ask the t mobile technical support if there is a fix or work around. thanks

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

If you search the forum for “gaming”, you'll find that what you are complaining about is pretty common. There is no way to NAT the T-Mobile gateway, and no way to control things like DHCP. I think T-Mobile wanted to create a foolproof, plug-n-play service, and just didn't think about the myriad of users who are gamers.

Hopefully, someone will respond to you and let you know how they worked around this issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@bocaboy2591 Thank you for the reply. I greatly appreciate it.

Anyone that reads this that has found a work around I would greatly appreciate a reply, even if its just a link to a tutorial. 

Thanks

So far no luck with a work around for me either. The fact that they've set all their units to NAT Type 3 makes gaming just about impossible. Most Home internet Services have their units NAT Types set at 2 (so in this case) T Mobiles NAT Type settings just won't speak with other online players. So I was simply going to open a port [think of it being a water outlet on the unit] to the gaming counsel ( that port would operate on Nat 2) and continue running Nat Type 3 on the Intire Unite/router and all other online devices such as Cell phones and what not that are connected outside of the open Nat 2 port....... Nat Type 3 has the highest security possible so when other Networks that run on Nat Type 2 or even Nat Type 1 it makes connecting to me/T mobiles routers impossible because the wave the box operates on blocks them due to the settings of the network being too strict and not allowing communication. And being that this is T-Mobile they won't change the settings to Nat Type 2 (moderate security) so still safe T mobile just to let the techs know *eye roll. is why I will also be dropping the service. The only issue I have with this whole thing is the fact that they don't let buyers/users know ahead of time that they run on high security settings and if you play online regardless of the device then you will not be able too have a session were you wont experience a time out or connection issue. I've been told I can connect another router to it, go into its settings and open the port or change the Nat settings of the 3rd party router, but honestly that's doing to much. Routers themselves range from 200 to 600 dollars and that's a gamble I'm not willing to take, unless somebody here has done this and actually went into the new routers settings and did as I mentioned? The whole point of the 3rd party router is to gain access to be able to change its settings so if you just did a plug and play type deal with an ethernet cable then please try and change the settings and get back to me if possible. It's kinda funny to me how T-Mobile can't change Nat settings for specific users. I understand they don't want their Networks to be hackable but if they can't figure out a work around then honestly they should get out of the (home internet) business and stick to what they know best (cell towers) this is almost like having strict and controlling parents, they will give you something but only if they have full control on how you use it lol. Except you're the one paying for it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

At some point, maybe not too far in the future, IPv4 will be considered the legacy dinosaur and IPv6 will be adopted more into the fabric of our everyday lives. The problem(s) is/are not solely about security and T-Mobile. T-Mobile pushed out as the underdog mobile carrier and started innovating to gain market share and become a contender in the space. T-Mobile runs an IPv6 network and handles cellular phone traffic and has now pushed forward to deliver on the RF broadband internet delivery to homes and businesses. They leverage both IPv4 and IPv6 addressing and use the CGNAT / 464XLAT solution to facilitate operations and manage cost. With the consumption of addressing due to more clients of all types it is necessary to consider and leverage the IPV6 addressing. It is NOT T-Mobile’s fault that the game vendors continue to develop and deploy their products with IPv4 and the limitations therein. The reality is that gaming delivery could be improved over IPv6 with fewer limitations as imposed with the use of NAT and port forwarding imposed due to the fact that the IPv4 address space is nearly saturated. Sure there are possibilities to what can be done with the CGNAT solution that ISPs use but it comes down to costs and complexity. If you want lower cost there is a feature compensation. If you have fat pockets flush with cash then there are other ISP vendors that would be happy to fleece you and provide the features. It is less expensive to use IPv6 vs IPv4 as the cost and availability of IPv4 addresses drives the cost up. Long term vendors have large blocks of public IPv4 addresses they are just sitting on. When it comes to countries that have adopted IPv6 the US is in 9th place with only ~52% adoption of IPv6. France leads the pack. Want to know? Look it up.

T-Mobile is growing their business and trying to maintain costs like any enterprise company. They are shooting for the sweet spot where investment can be kept down and the returns are most impressive. I may not like all the aspects of the T-Mobile solution as it still has some warts but it is a pretty good solution when it is done right. If greed allows it to be oversold in some markets and resources are not fully capable to handle the load that is wrong. When the user distribution is done right on the resources as deployed it is actually a really good solution. Gaming can consume more bandwidth. Some games are much more demanding than others. I firmly believe T-Mobile is shooting for the general user base where bandwidth consumption is not high and the return on their investment is better. It was never intended to be the end all solution for everyone. It would be great if it were for the price point it is offered at but that is not reality.

Since the T-Mobile solution has no contract, no additional fees, no hardware cost upfront, and a modest monthly cost it is a win for many consumers. I am happy T-Mobile has challenged the ISP industry as a whole. If it were not for this solution I would be stuck with one of two options which are BOTH 2X the cost for similar service with contracts and a host of obscure fees. Do the homework.

Ok im new to this, so plez forgive me. 

Gta5 and Rockstar will not play on my PS4. Any1 know anything about this or how to fix it? Its for my disabled son. Ty ty for any help

Badge

What console are you using?

With my Xbox One S the NAT shows moderate but I’m not getting timeout issues when playing. I’m using the KDV21 gateway and connected directly to my desktop and also have a CAT5E cable running from it to a network switch. My devices such as the Xbox, 3D Blueray, Android TV box and Steam Link are connected to the switch.

We dealt with this right after we signed up also. There is a workaround, and if it wasn’t for the cost savings I wouldn’t deal with it at all… On your console you need to assign different DNS server addresses. 

Google Public DNS

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.4.4

This gets you an open NAT - but there are times when I login to my XBox and have to “test connection” for it to go from moderate to open. 

Having said all that, I’m still getting irritated at my download speeds. When I first got T-Mobile I was blown away - 500+mbps… now there are days where I get under 10. I reboot the gateway and speeds improve to a little over 100mbps but nothing like the initial speeds I was getting. I’m about ready to give this back and go back to the devil (Spectrum...ughhhhhh.) Love T-Mobile but this has been nothing short of irritating. 

Badge

The speed issue is likely related to on going tower upgrade/s. Sometimes hardware and sometimes software. At least that is what I’ve been told by support after contacting them. LOL!