Question

Home Internet Gaming Problem

• 21 September 2022
  • 91 replies

Show first post

91 replies

Exact same issue. I’ve been a customer for months and just started seeing this happen after about 30-40 minutes of any multiplayer game. I’ve tried 2 different Nokia modems, and even went in store to exchange for a different model with an LCD on the front, model FAST 5688W. Support confirmed this new unit is on the latest Firmware. 

We have tried running multiple streaming services, multiple security cameras, but as soon as a game connects the 30-40 minute countdown to loosing service starts. My first ticket into support was in November 2022 and I am still having this issue in January 2023 but they have not been able to connect this issue in the forms to my issue.

Going to try and use Express VPN or something to make a Static IP and see if that helps.

Userlevel 1

​​​​I talked with a T-mobile rep and they are aware of this issue but are still trying I troubleshooting. Related to a firmware update they pushed out to the routers. Much of the problem he thinks is traceable to how the Dynamic IP behaves that various gaming consoles and websites don't like. The tech agreed that much of the problem might be solved if T-Mobile gave consumers Static IP options (available only to Businesses right now). Fingers crossed that they'll get a fix out soon because everything else with T-mobile internet has been great for us!

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my T-Mobile home internet. While this is probably true, I have also tried playing off my cellphone hotspot and I experience the exact same random disconnects. 350 down and 30 up isn’t worth a $1 if it’s gonna disconnect every minute. Several friends and I going back to cable internet because of this one issue. It’s a complete deal breaker.

Everyone I know that is having this issue have the older grey cylinder modems. I’m guessing this is happening with all models, but just to confirm does anyone have one of the newer model towers, and are you also experiencing these issues? 

I am also having this issue but I have one of the newer black cube kvd21 boxes. Wish they would roll back that last update soon because this is a deal breaker for me and my kids.

If they are working on it that’s good news. I’ve seen posts around the internet that people had problems like this for a few weeks then it stopped, maybe it’s related to work they are doing. If it was firmware related, I got the latest for the 5G21 back in September, and unless it was just slowly getting worse over the weeks, what I am experiencing now is nothing like back then.

Does anyone with a Gray can recall getting issues back in September when the latest firmware dropped?

I’ve also been having the same problem since mid-December. Doesn’t matter the server or the game, I’m kicked within five minutes. I’ve tried downgrading from 5G to LTE, I’ve taken my laptop with my mobile hotspot to different locations in order to connect to a different tower with better signal, nothing helps. I even went so far as to buy a new mobile hotspot. The responses I’m getting from customer service border on gaslighting.

I was able to play games just fine for six months on Tmobile’s 5G, even with a not-so-great signal, and for five years before that on Sprint with one iffy bar of LTE. Now they’re trying to tell me that my issue is simply because of a weak signal or network congestion. It’s gratifying to see so many others with the same issue.

It’s maddening. I would really love to be able to stay with Tmobile. Until this I’ve been overwhelmingly happy with the service, it’s been a game changer in my rural area, and recommended it to many others. But if this isn’t resolved soon, if they can’t even be upfront about the existence of an issue, I might have to jump ship.   

It annoying and I wish they could fix this cuz I’m kinda stuck with them for now

I found that UDP is not supported for video games. I had to switch providers. Whats the purpose for internet if it cannot be used for video games as well.

Had the service for about a year no major issues other than some slight slow downs in the evening until the Past couple months random disconnects for 20- seconds and reconnects could be 5 min could be 30 hrs between instances. Happens while watching youtube or especially when playing COD, complain 2 weeks ago they supposedly updated my firmware and I had no issues for 11 days, problem returns, app show gateway losing all bars when disconnects happen, network stays connected to all devices but everything wired or wifi loses internet connectivity. Complain again they send me an Arcadyan to replace my Nokia now I'm at 1/10 of the speed and can't even connect to a match at all without timing out. About fed up!!

Userlevel 2

I’ve also been having the same problem since mid-December. Doesn’t matter the server or the game, I’m kicked within five minutes. I’ve tried downgrading from 5G to LTE, I’ve taken my laptop with my mobile hotspot to different locations in order to connect to a different tower with better signal, nothing helps. I even went so far as to buy a new mobile hotspot. The responses I’m getting from customer service border on gaslighting.

I was able to play games just fine for six months on Tmobile’s 5G, even with a not-so-great signal, and for five years before that on Sprint with one iffy bar of LTE. Now they’re trying to tell me that my issue is simply because of a weak signal or network congestion. It’s gratifying to see so many others with the same issue.

It’s maddening. I would really love to be able to stay with Tmobile. Until this I’ve been overwhelmingly happy with the service, it’s been a game changer in my rural area, and recommended it to many others. But if this isn’t resolved soon, if they can’t even be upfront about the existence of an issue, I might have to jump ship.   

It annoying and I wish they could fix this cuz I’m kinda stuck with them for now

Last night I did not experience any issues gaming at all. Apex legends, Oculus pop one, MWW2 no issues. The night before several issues staying in a game. I am hoping a miracle happened and it was patched or it was a one time issue. Is the problem fixed for all of you also? 

Same for me, I was able to play last night with no issues at all!

I had one day last weekend where I was able to play a few hours solid of CSGO, but my brother was having issues later on at night. He's on an entirely separate line as well so who knows if it's actually fixed.

Been saying it for a while, they should just roll back whatever they did. 

Badge

What T-Mobile told me, the only work around thus far is to use a VPN to solve the online gaming.  Not sure if this will fix the Nat Type.  Anyone use a different service?  I am able to return mine.

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone found a fix for this? I was thinking maybe hooking the t mobile modem/router up to a different router that has more options like DMX, UPNP controls and port forwarding?

i tried to use another wifi 6 router with no luck. i tried with/without cable , no luck.

Having the same issue mentioned here. We had the gray/white trash can for about a year with nearly NO ISSUES. Save for a little spottiness on occasion, which is expected in our rural-ish area. No big deal.

I was trying for a WFH job that required 10mb upload speed minimum. We were hitting maybe 5.5-6 with that router. So obviously we went to our local store and asked for help. They recommended the next model with was the sagecom or something like that. The black trash can. This was roughly a month ago. It worked, but it was even slower internet. Download and upload speeds dropped. Didn't get that job, obviously. Streaming TV is how we roll, and up until the big black trash can, we'd dealt with very minimal buffering. Not only did it begin to buffer, we were losing connection completely several times a day. We dealt with it. Gaming hadn't been affected yet.

Then two weeks ago, the gaming connectivity started having issues. My main is Fortnite, and like others, I load up just fine then get into a match and start lagging/dropping connection. Mine is instant, whereas I've seen other get a couple minutes up to forty-five. Regardless, this is unacceptable. Two days ago I'd had enough, so upon contacting tech support, she said coverage in my area is great - I'm in the MAGENTA area so internet should be perfect. But it's not. So it's a router issue. We're gonna send you a new router and that'll fix your problem because on our end, everything looks great. 

Yesterday, we received the router, the Arcadyan (smaller black trash can) and last night it worked with minor lagging. I was at least able to play for a short-time without freezing every 20 seconds. Then last night before bed the internet shut off completely. Tried again today and now it's having the same issue. Freezing every 20 seconds then completely disconnecting me. Though every other device is running smoothly on the internet. As long as we're not gaming.

Here's the rundown from the two tech support calls today:

-Hard reset router and uninstall/reinstall TMHI app. Try adding a second network set to 2.4Ghz and run the gaming off that. Because gaming works best on 2.4Ghz. That didn't fix it, what do I do? Try it out for a couple days then give us another call.

*5 minutes later, frustrated as all get out, I call back*

-TMHI is not meant to handle gaming, but rather basic internet needs such as streaming and web surfing. Seriously? I'm just being upfront with you, I don't want to mislead you in any way. So what do we do? There are a lot of people in your area connecting to the towers, so speeds will be slow. Let's try some more troubleshooting. *instructs to reset everything, verifies SIM card is correct and working, suggest using an ethernet connection* Still no change. I hate that you're having this issue. Here are phone numbers for the manufacturers so you can contact them about your issues. Manufacturers for what? Your consoles. We've done everything on our end possible and connection looks perfect from here. It's probably a manufacturing issue with your Nintendo Switch and Playstation. So my Playstation and Switch both became faulty at exactly the same time after switching routers...and they're the problem? This is everything we did today. I'll give you a follow up call tomorrow to see how things are going.

*drives to McDonalds and connects to their free Wi-Fi and plays Fortnite with NO ISSUES*

I am disgusted and frustrated. T-Mobile, if you don't care about your gaming customers, JUST SAY THAT. Own up to it. You lowered your prices out of greed knowing everyone would flock to you and now you can't support the influx of usage. You put an update out on the routers and your customers are telling you it's broken....yet you do nothing. There is an issue here with YOUR service. I will be switching ISPs due to your negligence and unwillingness to provide for all your customers. 

FYI, Vicky, Richard, and Rachel...it's not you. It's your employer. You all were great and very helpful. As best you could be with what you've been taught. 

This is my exact situation! 

Stopped working about a week or so ago. And called 3 different times. 

They told me the speed looked perfect on their end, told me to reset the tower, check to see if the games I was trying to connect to were down, connect an Ethernet cable and pretty much every other option.
(we have 2 towers over here, tried both - both didn’t work and its the same situation)

I told them that I could use the hotspot on my phone with my PC and it worked better then the Home Internet System and they still weren't sure what was wrong. 

Strangely enough two days ago it worked for that 1 single day, and now its back to disconnecting after 20 -30 sec again. I really want to like T Mobile, we have add their home internet for ruffly a year and this was never a problem, but now we are being told their internet isn't meant for gaming when we have been gaming on it the whole time we been using it. xd

Userlevel 1

Last night I did not experience any issues gaming at all. Apex legends, Oculus pop one, MWW2 no issues. The night before several issues staying in a game. I am hoping a miracle happened and it was patched or it was a one time issue. Is the problem fixed for all of you also? 

Same for me, I was able to play last night with no issues at all!

I had one day last weekend where I was able to play a few hours solid of CSGO, but my brother was having issues later on at night. He's on an entirely separate line as well so who knows if it's actually fixed.

Been saying it for a while, they should just roll back whatever they did. 

yup, spoke too soon, having issues again tonight

I have the same issue. Unfortunately this will mean I cannot use T-Mobile internet.

Actually I have to expand on my initial statement since this seems systemic with users and not anything rare. I am a network engineer by trade, held multiple CISCO certifications and was a global network lead for a fortune 100 company. I am working remotely from a Hotel so I took my 5G router with me, it is my second internet connection at home for my elderly parents who don’s use it much. In any case tried gaming, no joy. So I connected to the free hotel wifi with all the warnings about speed, limited downloads, and only two devices, plays WOT just fine. On T-Mobile 5G wifi router, cant even log in. They need to fix this or T-Mobile will not be a viable option for most people as customers will only be frustrated. It is not because 5G is not meant for gaming. I have another providers 5G router that works flawlessly even when kids are streaming and I am gaming. I guess this will have to go back. The only thing I might try is hooking up a wifi router behind it but since several reports have LAN connected drops as well I suspect this is a traffic shaping / packet consistency issue in the infrastructure.

I have the same issue. Unfortunately this will mean I cannot use T-Mobile internet.

I’ve used PlayStation Remote Play for years with my PS4 and PS5, but having used T-Mobile internet since September, I’ve only even connected to the device a handful of times and those are short lived. The signal will either be too weak or unstable. I’m using iphone14Plus with all the updates, currently running iOS 17.4. This is on WiFi because I can’t get a LAN set up with either PlayStation. “Some of the required features are not supported.” I assume this is Port forwarding and UPNP. 
I haven’t phoned support because T-mobile always tries to bill for support help. I’ve kept T-Mobile (for WiFi) and Xfinity (LAN) this entire time deciding what to do. I also just got a new Backbone, which is awesome! So, not having remote play is a deal breaker for me.  The end of this billing cycle I’m returning the Sagemcom and dropping the service. 

I recently started test driving T-Mobile home internet at my house, and it's worked great for everything except games, where I'm having a weird issue with some of them. When I try to play Apex Legends on PC, the game will connect and play really smooth for anywhere from 1-3 minutes, and then all communication will be lost, which will take 20 seconds for the game to kick me out to the main menu. If I go back into the game from the main menu, it'll work fine untill the 1-3 minutes elapses.

During all of this my PC never loses connection, and this issue occurs over wifi and ethernet. This issue probably does not lie with the game as this issue does not occur with other ISPs, and it did not coincide with an update.

A similar issue is happening with Splatoon 3 on the Nintendo Switch, where the game will play superb for 30 seconds to 2 minutes before dropping the connection. 

Is this a known issue with the service or gateway, is there anyway I can debug my connection, and does anyone know anyway that could possibly remedy the situation? I'd love to keep the home internet, but one of the main things I use the internet for is games, meaning this service wouldn't work for me.

Same here, T-Mobile Home Internet is totally unreliable.

I have the same issue with Oculus Quest,  I get kicked out 30 to 60 seconds into a game on average for the past week. Believe me I tried everything nothing works!  I have played just about every day for a year for exercise with zero issues.  Games are the only thing I get kicked out of.  I used my phone Verizon hot spot  and it works fine.  I was watching bars on internet tower and I noticed the bars drop out completely briefly then back to 4 oh and by the way my download speed is 150-200 mps.   Hopefully tmobile figures this out or I’ll be switching to Verizon.  I do see a lot of people with this issue. 

I’m having the same issue on Oculus Quest. I’m able to play online games for about 60 seconds then it kicks me out. Also tried connecting through a router that is connected to the TMobile modem and still didn’t work. 

Went over to a friends house to try just to verify it wasn’t my headset and it works fine. 

Very frustrating, I’ll probably have to drop T-Mobile. Good price but not worth it if I can’t use it. 

Same here.  Friend fired up AT&T hotspot and now Quest works fine.  It’s false advertising that it supports gaming. Neither PS4 nor Quest work over TMHI unless conditions are perfect.  Sick and tired of losing matches and money because of TMHI

Userlevel 1

I’ve been seeing the exact same thing since the December update with online games.  Connect fine, start playing then disconnected after 10-30 minutes :(