Question

Honeywell wifi thermostat not able to connect

• 21 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have a Honeywell RTH6580WF thermostat which used to work through my Nokia 5G gateway but got disconnected a month or so ago and now cannot re-connect.  I’ve tried creating new 2.4 network, changing wifi passwords, not requiring a wifi password, hidden SSIDs.  Nothing.  Every other device, computer, phone connects just fine.  I can connect to the thermostat’s web interface, choose the wifi, enter the password and then the thermostat produces one of these error codes  E01, E02, and E42.  The thermostat manual and Honeywell support resources aren’t helpful.  Honeywell support suggests it could be that one of ports 443, 113, or 80 are blocked by the gateway or T-Mobile ISP.  I was told by Honeywell that if the thermostat can’t communicate with Honeywell servers during initial wifi setup, I would see one of these errors.   If anyone has had this issue and found a way to get your thermostat to connect, please share.  I’ve spent way too many hours on this.  Even bought 2 new thermostats and they fail too.  :(

7 replies

Badge +1

Make sure your 2.4 and 5 SSIDs are different. That’s the only thing I can think of. I don’t have Honeywell, but my Nests have no problem. 

Badge

Thank you for the tip.  Yes, I have tried many different SSID names and security protocols.  I will try other wifi thermostats.  

Badge

Tried a Honeywell RTH9585WF1004 and same problem.  Then tried an Amazon Smart Thermostat and it worked.  Ironically the Amazon thermostat is made with Honeywell Home technology.  I was worried it would fail for that reason but was very happy it worked.

Same issue.  Won't connect with Honeywell. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You mentioned that it was working before so that would mean something changed to create this problem. Since TMO has not issued a new firmware in the past couple months, that can’t be the cause. The only thing that likely changed on your TMO gateway is the public IP.

I would contact Honeywell again and tell them the following:

• TMO gateway will frequently change it’s public IP just like cell phones do
  • The TMO public IPs frequently show geolocations that are no where near the physical location just like cell phones. Like a couple hundred miles away. As I type this, my public IP says my location is 180 miles south of my gateway.

If either of these cause problems with Honeywell, it could explain why it no longer works since Honeywell services are expecting your thermostat to have the same IP and/or same geolocation when you initially set it up.

You could test this theory by removing your thermostat from Honeywell app and then factory reset to do setup all over again. I’m not sure what all you lose by doing that and keep in mind, all that will do is confirm this theory.

You should also know, if it turns out this is the problem, there is nothing TMO can do about it right now so you may not even have a solution unless Honeywell can make it work.

Badge

Of course T-Mobile support points their finger at the device and not the gateway.  I tried several iterations of WiFi networks within the T-Mobile gateway, but could not connect my EcoNet device.  I have a cheap Wavlink extender for my backyard that connects to the T-Mobile gateway that my EcoNet can see.  EcoNet connects fine to this extender.  My T-Mobile service is great, router is quite poor in options, local connectivity, and standards.  Likely, I will ultimately connect a real WiFi router to the ethernet port of the T-Mobile gateway and shutdown the WiFi on the T-Mobile.  Can use conventional WiFi router and extenders or spend more and put in mesh network routers.

I have a Honeywell RTH6580WF1001 Thermostat that used to work with a CenturyTel router.. I’ve noted that my Tmobile router has a 192.168.12.1 gateway address. When I redid the Honeywell WIFI setup the Honeywell Thermostat had an address of 192.168.1.1 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1. I assume my problem is the different gateways. Is there any way to change the Honeywell gateway to 192.168.12.1 to match the Tmobile rouuter?