Question

How to change the Wifi and LAN IP subnet

• 26 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just got a Tmobile 5G Home hotspot and set it up. It’s working but it’s built in DHCP server is handing out a subnet of 192.168.12.x /24 on both the Wifi and LAN ports.

I would like to change this, or at least change the Wifi. The built in wifi will be useless to me unless I can change this IP. 

I have a home internet distribution system, Cisco access points on all the floors that blow away the built in wifi this thing has. And I don’t trust the security in this device to keep my networks secure.

If anyone knows how to change the IP please let me know. 

Thanks,

David

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can turn the WIFI radios off by disabling the SSID for each radio and then just connect your access points to the T-Mobile gateway. T-Mobile does not provide a way to disable the DHCP server. I don’t know if you have the Nokia or the Arcadyan gateway but the quest is a futile one you have embarked upon. Go and check out Nater Tater’s YouTube videos. He has posted some very informative videos that are helpful. If you have the Arcadyan he has provided information that will give you the way to get more information from the T-Mobile Arcadyan gateway and also how to disable the radios. 

With the NAT on the T-Mobile gateway I do not believe you will be able to disable the DHCP server and I have seen no configuration options for altering the DHCP scope. T-Mobile wants to control the inside and outside NAT interfaces. They don’t offer a tremendous range of advanced configuration options.

Badge

Tips & Tricks! T-Mobile 5G Home Internet Gateway - Disable Wifi, Force Firmware Update, etc on Youtube. Check a person that goes by the name Nater Tater there. He has several good vids for the T-Pink bunch.

I have a similar issue.  I have some vintage equipment that used 192.168.1.x as lan addresses and I'm unable change these devices.  Is there any way to  change the LAN addresses of TMO_G4AR.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@rl4265 I think you will need to connect a router to the gateway with ethernet.  The router needs to use 192.168.1.x.  Then, if you want, you can download third party app HINT Control and turn off the Wi-Fi radios on the gateway.

Thanks.  I thought of this as well.  I’d prefer not to add another device but it should work.  This is disappointing since most routers allow you to change LAN IP.