Solved

How to connect USB printer to Sagemcom Home Internet Gateway

• 20 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

If I plug my USB printer into the available USB port on the Sagemcom Home Internet Gateway, how do I configure computers to print to it? Is there a port number I should use?

icon

Best answer by nc1037 20 October 2023, 17:47

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@phildavidson2 generally, when you add a device you will need to add driver software. Whether you are using Windows or macOS, just “add” a device/printer. Your PC or Mac should automatically look for the software drivers, download them and then you can configure the device.

Here is a guide for adding a printer to Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-a-printer-or-scanner-in-windows-14d9a442-0bcb-e11c-7a6c-63f00efae79f

Here is a guide to add a printer to macOS: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/add-a-printer-list-mac-mh14004/mac

Badge

I already use this same printer via an Apple Airport Extreme connected by Ethernet cable to the Sagemcom gateway. This works properly from two different Windows systems; the printer drivers are already in place.

My goal is to plug the printer into the Sagemcom gateway’s open USB port. One reason is for more convenient placement of devices and cables.

Here is how I currently attach the printer to the Airport Extreme at 192.168.12.45:

But when I try plugging the printer into the Sagemcom’s USB port and changing this configuration to the Sagemcom’s IP address, the printer does not respond.

Does the USB port work? Is there a standard way to connect to a printer plugged into the port?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Take a look at this video to see if it helps resolve your connection issues:

Badge

Yes, I saw that video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AME7edb35x4 . But it’s about connecting a printer via WiFi. My printer doesn’t have WiFi; it uses a USB cable only.

Is any guidance available about using a printer on the Sagemcom gateway connected via a physical cable to the USB port?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Sorry, I don’t have any experience with adding a USB printer to a gateway. Does the printer software have a driver/install application? Maybe reinstall the driver software and try to auto-detect the printer?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

If it’s like other carrier provided gateways (including other T-Mobile gateways), that USB port is non-functional other than possibly providing power to another device (sometimes they also provide diagnostic capabilities for technicians or loading firmware).

Using USB, you’d to need attach to your PC or laptop and share that printer over WiFi, or if the printer had a WiFi printer configure a WiFi connection as described in the YT video above.

Carrier gateways are usually simple gateways with limited/basic functionality, not full (or fuller) blown routers like the Airport Extreme.

If wanting full router capabilities continue to use the Airport Extreme the way you are.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

This is not what you want to do, but maybe it will be helpful.

I have a non-Wi-Fi printer (Brother HL-L2300D).  It is connected via USB to my Windows desktop computer.  I leave that computer on all the time.  I can print to that printer from my laptop connected to Wi-Fi even if the desktop computer is asleep.  As I recall, all I had to do was enable Sharing in the printer properties.

Badge

ns1037, you’re right: it’s not what I want to do, but it makes sense. As it happens, all our home computers are laptops or mobile devices. (Hmm, one might be able to do what you suggest using a Raspberry Pi.)