Solved

how to view clients connected to tmobile router

• 12 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Badge

I connect to the tmobile router.   I can change the name of the wireless network, but that’s about it.

Is there some management portal that’s hidden?   How can I view the clients that are connected to the router?   How can I change the native local address range?

icon

Best answer by Cali Cat 12 June 2022, 22:35

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The gateway uses DHCP and the IP subnet is 192.168.12.0/24 with 192.168.12.1 as the gateway IP address. You cannot change the address range/subnet for the gateway. You can connect to the gateway with a browser via the gateway IP - 192.168.12.1 and do basic management. Another way to manage the gateway is with the mobile application. Depending upon the type of phone you have you can go to the respective application “store” and download the app. The T-Mobile home internet application, depending upon the gateway you have may provide a little more info than the browser interface. 

If you have the Arcadyan gateway you can check out Nater Taters YouTube videos. He also has done some on the Nokia gateway. In either case there is very helpful information on his videos.

Badge

Thank you for your reply.   I already had all of this information.

The question is:  How can I view the clients that are using the TMobile wireless?   I have set up my router in ranger extender mode.   It has since disappeared, since I don’t know what address was assigned to it.   I was hoping to gain a little more speed with the new setup, but I will have to revert back to the old way if I can’t view assigned IP addresses.

I appreciate the fact that TMobile is trying to make things simple, but now it’s way too simple if you can’t perform simple networking chores.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are connecting your router as a range extender you can apply a static IP address to it then connect it. On my LAN I used Zenmap to scan my network for clients. You just have to know the MAC address of the clients in many cases. 

I have seen that the T-Mobile gateway DHCP server delivers IP addresses from .101 to .254 so the addresses from .2-100 should be wide open. You can ping the broadcast address 192.168.12.255 and then the command “arp -a” to see the hosts that have responded with ARPs. If you have the ARPs and know the MAC of the router you can connect to it. Then you can assign an IP address static to the router and then reconnect to the static IP address. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

On the TMO Home internet mobile app:

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet/app

One of the options is to show connected devices. Note, there appears to be a bug where a device that is connected via ethernet is still displayed as connected via wifi. Unfortunately, you cannot change the name of the device or change the IP to static so write down the MAC address of you device once you find it.

Badge

Itinker - Thanks.   Excellent info.  I’ll give zenmap a try later when I’m on my Windows machine.

(trying to wean myself from windows and using Chrome OS, which is much faster.  I’m trying Network Scanner here.)   And of course the ARP command should also work to tell me what I need.

In order to set a static IP, I’ll have to direct connect just to get back control, if I can’t locate it with these other resources.    I should be all set though.   Thanks for the excellent clues.

Cali Cat - I’m not following you.   I’m not seeing any option in any version of the TMobile app that let’s me look at connected devices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Cali Cat - I’m not following you.   I’m not seeing any option in any version of the TMobile app that let’s me look at connected devices.

The option is at the bottom of the app, right next to the Home tab and labeled “Devices” I had this working on both Nokia and Arcadyan gateways and used it to find my router’s IP that was operating in AP mode. I am running this app on my iPhone.

Badge

I always hate reading forum posts only to find there is no conclusion / solution posted.   So, here it is:

The original intent of my tested configuration was to change my ASUS router to a repeater.   The TMobile router is direct wired to my ASUS.   Changing the ASUS to a repeater would allow me to move the TMobile to different locations to maximize the signal.

I never had any problems setting up the ASUS to be a repeater.   As soon as it was set up this way, I could disconnect the cat5 from the TMobile router.   But when I unplugged the TMobile to relocate it, it would fail to reconnect to the ASUS.   I tried both DHCP and static IP on the ASUS.  (it would have been helpful to have that capability on the TMobile.)     After many attempts with different tweaks, it was a complete fail.   

I give the TMobile a zero for management capabilities.   While I was able to find a partial client list on the phone app, when I use the same app on a chrome book there was no such capability.   And, as I said, at best it was only a partial list of connected devices.   It’s nice that TMobile is keeping things simple.  But, if it’s going to serve as a router, it needs to have some fundamental management capabilities.   Currently, there is nothing.

The TMobile operates OK where it is located, with a Cat5 to my ASUS.   I’m just not sure I’m achieving best possible speeds.