Solved

I want to replace the home internet gateway

• 29 March 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +2

I’ve had T-Mobile home internet a few months. I was told service in my area was iffy but decided to take the risk. They were upgrading the tower near me. That caused outages but I hung in there. The Sagemcom gateway was frequently going into standby mode, too. It would show connected to the tower but not provide internet to connected Wi-Fi devices though devices could talk to each other through the local network. After a time the gateway became more reliable only requiring a reboot every couple of days. There was a two month window with good internet. Then the gateway starting going into standby again and T-Mobile replaced it with the Arcadyan.

The Arcadyan is extremely reliable but not nearly as fast. Unfortunately the Arcadyan will not service a great number of Wi-Fi connections. I have ten Google Nest Mini speakers and group play would not work with the Arcadyan. I have many other devices, too.

As a test I connected my 12 year old Buffalo router. It has 2.4 and 5 g bands. It services all the Wi-Fi connections just fine. I sometimes had device connection issues with the Sagemcom, too. I guess the Sagemcom handled it better. Having hooked up the old router and seeing how it solved connection issues I know both the Sagemcom and Arcadyan have that problem.

So I’m going to buy the latest technology Wi-Fi router and turn the Wi-Fi radios off on the Arcadyan. There’s a script to do that. I can easily decide on a new router. While doing research I thought about replacing the T-Mobile supplied gateway, too. Since the Sagecom is faster than the Arcadyan I am thinking there may be other brands that work with T-Mobile. Talking to T-Mobile they said I could try a Nokia for $35 fee. On Amazon I saw a Yeacomm 5G Modem AX3600 and a NETGEAR Nighthawk M6 5G WiFi 6 Mobile Hotspot Router (MR6150). It says the NETGEAR Nighthawk is certified to work with T-Mobile. Home internet 5G is different from phone 5G and has a radio just for that on the tower, I was told.

I am wondering if anyone has experience replacing their T-Mobile supplied gateway

icon

Best answer by Djsegwon 29 March 2023, 11:36

View original

3 replies

Turn the wifi, 2.4 & 5ghz wifi off on the t-mobile modem and just use your router! I've had this setup for a while, no issues at all! Both those other routers from Amazon work more for Hotspot, not home internet! Kithe Productions

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You can give Support a call and make arrangements to have the gateway replaced 

Badge

You can buy one off offer up or eBay, I bought a Nokia one from offer up for 20 bucks and works great. Make sure you get it from someone who got it from Metro PCS as they are paid off