Solved

internet

• 21 March 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

I am new to T Mobile very small house modem has to be upstairs in window. How can I make the signal stronger it is only at GOOD. Also would like info on a compatible extender. I had eero devices with spectrum and was told they will not work with 5G T Mobile. I have received multiple answers Google Nest, Netgear  TP Link. I currently work from home and don't want to mess up the VPN address through work (works great) however I think it would be beneficial to get more strength at times for TV t-streaming etc.

please help I am very naive when it comes to intent and phone connectivity! 

icon

Best answer by nc1037 21 March 2024, 21:46

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

If you still have the Eero or another Wi-Fi router, it should work with your T-Mobile gateway.  I’ll come back to that.

First, if you haven’t yet downloaded “Speedtest by Ookla” for your phone, please do that.  With your phone connected to your Wi-Fi network, use the Speedtest app to measure the download speed near your gateway.  That will tell you just how good “Good” is - it may be enough.  If it isn’t good enough, try other locations/positions for your gateway, including rotating it.  Do another Speedtest after each repositioning.  Now I’ll assume that you found the best position.

Next, go to the location in your home where you work.  On your phone, measure the speed at that spot.  Also measure the speed near your TV.  If your measurements are similar to what you measured near your gateway, you should proceed to connecting your computer to the new Wi-Fi network. Or if you found a drop-off in speed, you can connect your old router directly to the gateway using an ethernet cable.  If you do that, your computer and all of your devices can use your old network settings.  

After connecting your computer to your Wi-Fi network (new or old), go to speedtest dot net in your browser and check your speed.  Be sure your VPN is working.  

Then proceed with connecting your TV and other devices.

If you have any trouble with this, or issues with specific devices, please post again.  I or someone else will try to help.