Solved

Is it possible to turn off wifi T-Mobile 5G Gateway (G4AR or G4SE)

• 15 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
  • Helper Level 3
  • 42 replies

I did a search on the forum, once link is 2 years old and looks like a backdoor hack of some sort. That I am not comfortable messing with these devices. Did I miss something or there is no turning off the WiFi portion? I already have a WiFi Mesh that I need to cover the entire house, front and back yard, I don’t need the TMO router to transmit. Be nice if I can just turn it off. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by nc1037 15 March 2024, 23:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I can understand why T-Mobile did not want us to be easily able to turn off the Wi-Fi.  People could get themselves into a pickle. 

There is a third party app called HINT Control.  See Nater Tater’s YouTube video.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I can understand why T-Mobile did not want us to be easily able to turn off the Wi-Fi.  People could get themselves into a pickle. 

There is a third party app called HINT Control.  See Nater Tater’s YouTube video.  

I just watched the whole thing. So it's 3rd party. Last question. If T-Mobile pushes a firmware...have you heard of anyone with an issue with this? Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

It is third party, but it seems to be well maintained.  I downloaded the iOS version which was last updated 2 months ago (well after Nater Tater’s video.)  I am not going to turn off my Wi-Fi, but I do appreciate the additional information about my network and devices that the app shows me.  The original T-Mobile Internet app is pretty unreliable, and I’m not so impressed with T Life either.  (My gateway and service have been very reliable.  I don’t want to give the wrong impression.)

You could just leave the gateway’s Wi-Fi network turned on.

If you want to pursue this some more, you could ask Nater Tater.  He seems to have some communication with the app developer.  He might have other advice for you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yeah I understand. I appreciate all that information. I was researching this thing and diden’t realize that you don’t really have to turn them off. It’s not going to knock out your existing WiFi Mesh Network from what I understand. I see the App for Mac and iOS. I will just leave it on also. I haven’t noticed any kind of issues or interference with my VELOP routers. The VELOP can also scan channels for less interference automatically I think or manual if its starts to get conflicts.