Solved

Is there anyway to use a separate Wifi mesh router (eg an Orbi) with the new TMO-G4SE

• 5 March 2024
  • 9 replies

Badge

I’m in my 14 day free trial.  I’d like to replace my cox modem with Tmobile’s unit feeding into my Orbi mesh network router.  

• From what I can see and have read TMobile app won’t let you turn of the router functionality to just use it as a modem.  Correct?
  • I’ve read some suggestions to use the T-Mobile box as-is and just connect it to an external router using Ethernet.  Anyone here doing this for awhile without issue?  Don’t things get messed up with the external router and T-Mobile router allocating DHCP addresses?
  • Saw another suggestion to use the setup above, but rename the T-Mobile Wi-Fi network different than the external router Wi-Fi network and only connect to the external router Wi-Fi.  Any doing this without an issue?

Thank you for your time and experience…

icon

Best answer by copz1998 5 March 2024, 01:08

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@GrumpyGogs to your questions.

• From what I can see and have read TMobile app won’t let you turn of the router functionality to just use it as a modem.  Correct? Yes. If you have a wifi router then you need to set the network settings to “bridge” mode on your wifi router, then the TM Gateway will spool out IP addresses to your devices. Otherwise, you will have double-NAT issues. 
  • I’ve read some suggestions to use the T-Mobile box as-is and just connect it to an external router using Ethernet.  Anyone here doing this for awhile without issue?  Yes, I am (and others). Don’t things get messed up with the external router and T-Mobile router allocating DHCP addresses? See above - bridge mode for your home wifi router. I use the Eero 6 Plus and set it to bridge mode. Alll good. 
  • Saw another suggestion to use the setup above, but rename the T-Mobile Wi-Fi network different than the external router Wi-Fi network and only connect to the external router Wi-Fi.  Any doing this without an issue? Some people have had issues with connecting their IoT devices like thermostats and printers to their TM Gateway, so it seems to be a good practice to setup a 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID separately to make the IoT connections easier for devices. This is my practice and it works well. Also, if you have connection issues, set the 2.4Ghz WAP setting to WPA/WPA2.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The  Gateway will still be broadcasting on its internal channels using whatever SSIDs were set-up.  The new router should have different SSID names, otherwise your external devices will connect to either router without any control over which one it’s connecting to.

Also, the TMI app doesn’t have this feature, but there is an app you can download (sorry, forget the name), that allows you to turn off the radios on the Gateway for this reason.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@GrumpyGogs @Rogracer2000 

The app in the Google Play Store:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/datasafety?id=dev.zwander.arcadyankvd21control&hl=en_US&gl=US

The app in the Apple App Store:https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hint-control/id6449951339

Badge

@copz1998 , @Rogracer2000 & @henry51 :  thank you for the responses.  Everything seems to be running smoothly at this point.  

Badge

Don't mean to hijack this, but I am in a very similar situation.

Just started my TMHI 15 day trial.

I am coming from DSL 🤪

I would like to add an eero 6+

@copz1998 you mentioned. You use the eero system.

Is it easy to setup? I can run Ethernet cable if I need to.

I want to have Internet access in my detached woodshop.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@SandyMike yes, the setup was was very intuitive. My setup looks like this:

TM Gateway > Eero 6+ < clients get access from eero

1 ethernet cable from the gateway to the main eero. Then, use the eero app to configure your network. 

I am very pleased with the results. 

Badge

@SandyMike yes, the setup was was very intuitive. My setup looks like this:

TM Gateway > Eero 6+ < clients get access from eero

1 ethernet cable from the gateway to the main eero. Then, use the eero app to configure your network. 

I am very pleased with the results. 

Do you have the TM gateway wireless turned off?

is there any problems with IOT devices (I have several security cameras)

Mike 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

For my setup I only use the TM gateway for internet access. I used the HINT Control app to turn off the gateway SSIDs so I don’t experience double NAT issues. I let my eero act as an access point for all connecting devices. However, you can use the gateway as the main point, and set the eero in bridge mode, then it only connects devices and lets the gateway spool out IPs.   

I hope this helps. 

Badge

That is what I plan on doing as well.

Do you have any issues with IOT  devices, like cameras or smart thermostats, printers?

you have been very helpful  Thank you