Question

KVD21 no 802.11ax

• 16 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I recently installed a KVD21 provided by t-mobile. T-mobile’s website shows that this unit can support, “ Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 4x4MIMO”. I’ve been able to get 802.11n and 802.11ac but not 802.11ax. I’ve looked through the setting on both the app and via my PC browser but T-mobile appears to have things locked down pretty tight.

Is there an option that needs turned on? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, did you find a solution? Thank you all for your time!

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I don’t recall any of my wireless routers showing me which 802.11__ standard they met.  It was on the packaging or the documentation.  Your gateway is 802.ax according to published specs.  Where in your setup did you see 802.11ac or 802.11n?

Your gateway has both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands.  The default network automatically chooses which band to use for each of your devices, so you don’t need to do this.  (In my house, about 15 devices work just fine with the default automatic network.) In practice, many devices work better when they are connected to a dedicated 2.4 GHz network which you can set up.  But, it’s still working under the 802.ax standard.

There is nothing you can really do with 192.168.12.1.  They have really dumbed it down.  The app is only slightly better.  Hopefully you get to the point where you can “set it and forget it.”

Badge

Thanks for the reply! On a KVD21 5GHz uses 802.11ac and 2.4GHz uses 802.11n. Dual band toggles between a few protocols. Unfortunately none of them are using a 802.11ax protocol (aka WiFi 6). This info can be found by viewing the protocol on a connected device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Oh, thanks for educating me on how to see.  I think I knew that at one time.  I have the Sagemcom gateway.  My Windows laptop tells me it is connected with the Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) Protocol.  It’s connected to the default automatic network.  My old desktop which I connected to my 2.4GHz network tells me it is connected to Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n).  Maybe 802.11ax only displays for the default automatic network?  Showing
802.11n or 802.11ax does seem to contradict the documentation.

The online documentation shows that both the Sagemcom and Arcadyan use 802.11ax for both bands.  This one is for the Arcadyan.  (Missing the “Hz” after the “G” though!)

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

My 6- year old laptop says it is connected to 802.11ac (WiFi 5).  However my newer phone shows it is connected to 802.11ax (WiFi 6)...so maybe your connected device is just too old to support WiFi 6 or maybe there is some other compatibility issue.  I ahve also seen the router broadcast on DFS channels, which I think are part of the WiFi 6 standards.