Question

Liftmaster Connection Issue

• 16 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

I can not get my Liftmaster garage door to connect to my T-Mobile Home internet.  Is anyone else having this issue.  I have reset the garage door opener and still having issues since turning on internet.  From what I can tell the router is not letting the opener connect.

9 replies

Exact same issue.  Liftmaster sent me their settings needed but apparently you can’t change any setting other than to split signal between 2.4 and 5. Makes brand new garage door feature useless. Not happy with Tmobile

I can not get my Liftmaster garage door to connect to my T-Mobile Home internet.  Is anyone else having this issue.  I have reset the garage door opener and still having issues since turning on internet.  From what I can tell the router is not letting the opener connect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

LiftMaster could probably provide some more clues as to how to get the connection made. If your opener is manufactured prior to 2022 their documentation suggest 2.4GHz is needed & given 5GHz is really not significant for the opener’s needs that makes sense. The signal strength in the garage is important so determine if the signal into the garage is sufficient. If not then a Wi-Fi extender might be needed. The problem may have nothing to do with the T-Mobile router itself. If you have other 2.4 GHz devices that can connect with the router from inside the garage then looking at the operation of the garage door opener is where I would focus. If you have an Android phone download a network scanner and check the signal strength for the 2.4 GHz signal from the router in the garage. If the WIFI signal is weak then consider an extender. Another test you can do is to turn your phone into a hotspot, take it into the garage and see if the opener will connect to your phone vs. the router. Yet another test/option would be to make a temporary move of the router closer to the garage door opener to see if the connection on the WIFI is successful. There is usually more than one way to pull a problem apart so it comes down to working through the problem as best you can with the resources you have.

Make sure the Wi-Fi extender you use has the following specifications:

• 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4GHz,

• Security: WEP, WPA and WPA2

LiftMaster has tested and recommends the following range extenders:

• Netgear EX6100: AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender

• Netgear WN3000RP: N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender

• Netgear WN1000RP: N150 Wi-Fi Range Extender for Mobile

• Belkin N300: Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender

Depending upon the number of walls, metal obstructions etc… between the garage door opener and the T-Mobile router the signal may be degraded contributing to the connection issues. I know there are areas in our house where the WIFI signal is impacted due to appliances and building materials. 

Solution

take a personal router that utilizes 2.4 frequency and plug into Ethernet port on rear of T-Mobile gateway. Your myQ lift master opener will connect to the 2.4 frequency. 

in our case we had this network prior to receiving T-Mobile 5g home internet. Our garage opener and app worked perfectly. Once T-Mobile was installed the unit and app stopped working. I found this community posting and realized my issue and was thankful I wasn’t crazy, having tried the setup process repeatedly. Today I thought of the old router solution and just tried it. Our garage door opener and myQ is working again. Hope this helps everyone. 

After spending about 6 hours on the phone with t-mobile and Liftmaster tech support and bringing the t-mobile hub right into the garage and not able to connect, I connected my Netgear router into the T-Mobile

hub and It connected to the Liftmaster right away. :)

Having the same issue but when I plug my old router into the t mobile box the LiftMaster is still not recognizing any networks.  Any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Having the same issue but when I plug my old router into the t mobile box the LiftMaster is still not recognizing any networks.  Any ideas? 

what ITinkeralot posted is what is needed. the door needs the 2.4Ghz connection and guessing currently its only pushing out the 5. or the 2.4 isnt visible

Yeah I have the t mobile and the outside router set to 2.4 only but still no luck. It’s a TP link router though. I’m seeing some say those don’t work for it. 

There’s a setting somewhere on the T-Mobile internet to separate the bands and then you can connect to the 2.4 setting.   I saw a you tube video on it and it specifically mentions garage door openers 

google it.   It’s somewhere out there