Question

manually select wifi channels

• 6 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

trying to find how to manually set wifi channels on the Sagecom Fast home internet gateway. The “admin” web page (192.168.12.1) is useless, duplicates the app.

in my area there are a lot of wifi use and I can see unused channels with a wifi analyzer app. with my old Netgear I could set it to a specific channel.

the Sagecom seems to like to pile on to busy channels

any hints how to get to the real admin page?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Sagemcon configuration/management has to be done via the T-Mobile home internet mobile application. If Nater Tater has posted any additional YouTube videos that includes the Sagemcon gateway maybe he has posted how to at least get the gateway configuration parameters out of the Sagemcon gateway. Visit: https://www.youtube.com/c/natertater He does have a couple of videos on the Sagemcon including some comparison of the three T-Mobile gateways so it is a good resource.

I followed natertater’s instructions for hidden settings on Arcadyan gateway using Windows Powershell to set the 5ghz channel so that my Netgear wifi extender could connect to it. Is Sagemcom OS much different from Arcadyan? If so, I need to make sure I avoid ending up with it, unless other brand extenders don’t have that issue of being picky about 5ghz channels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

He also did a similar review as such on the Sagemcon and it is a little different. I believe that is only a script to disable or enable the wireless radios. It might be a bit of modification of the one he did for the Arcadyan could be effective with the Sagemcon but I don’t have that expertise. 

I still believe the mesh solutions with the gateways is much better than extenders. I just did not find the extenders as helpful. I guess in part because the one I was working with at the time was maybe not a good one so it sort of biased me against them. Maybe more expensive and more capable extenders are ok but if I had to I would prefer to use a mesh solution instead. So far I have no pressing demand as such. Now an external MIMO antenna might be nice but my bandwidth is more than adequate and I have other things I need to focus on vs more bandwidth.

Thanks for the info. Learning how to send the powershell commands was a big time killer. Mesh seems like the Way to go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Being able to control what radios are alive is good. If there is nothing on the unused frequencies it should not present any serious contention. I just prefer to keep things clean and only have what I am using alive so it is a reasonable trade off. Some users use double NAT with the mesh routers to have the extra knobs and buttons. I get that. The T-Mobile gateways offer insufficient controls for modern networks. Some might argue the solution is not for a serious user due to some of the limitations. I can’t argue with that. We do get what we pay for.