Solved

MyQ (Chamberlain) garage door and Gateway 5G router not compatible

• 12 January 2023
  • 31 replies

Badge

Is there a work-around to make the two devices compatible?

icon

Best answer by Rogracer2000 13 January 2023, 15:09

View original

31 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

There is another thread around here regarding this issue (Im too lazy to find it for you).  But t.he recommendation seems to be to add a WiFi extender and connect the Chamberlain to that  

Badge

Thanks,

I’ll try connecting to my TP-Link extender.

I am having the same issue what is TP link extender and where do I buy it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Here is a possible workaround to your problem.

Create a new network in the T-Mobile app. Give it a different name (SSID) than your primary network, configure the frequency as 2.4 MHz only, and choose WPA/WPA2 as the WPA version. 

Also be aware that some extenders use a form of NAT to connect to your network. I have a Netgear EX2700 that I've been using successfully for a long time, but with T-Mobile, while it still works as an extender, it does not have a unique IP address so that I can access the configuration page.

I’m having this problem too! After reading other threads I bought the TP LINK AC1200 WiFi Router. I connected the it onto the T-Mobile router. I disconnected the 5ghz on the TP LINK and only allow 2.4ghz. When I try to connect the Wi-Fi the MYQ to TP Link, it can’t find the connection at all  :(

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Did you disable DHCP on the TP-Link Router? Only one device on a network can operate as a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses.

If you want to use the TP-Link for wireless, I'd put it into access point mode (AP), but if you're trying to get the garage unit to communicate with your WiFi network, why not just create a new network on your T-Mobile gateway as I described above. From what you've described, you don't need a separate router., maybe just a WiFi extender.

I use a TP-Link TL-WA855RE Router wirelessly connected to the TMHI Gateway. My two MyQ devices attach to it and I also have it located next to a device that only has Ethernet connectivity. Kills two birds with one device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Sounds like you have your problem solved, but if you're using a TP-Link WiFi Extender, you can only create a connection with the 2.4 MHz band at WPA2 security. Why not just separate the 5 MHz and 2.4 MHz  bands on the T-Mobile gateway, give them separate names, and have the Nexx devices connect? I also have a Nexx garage door opener (V1) and had no issue with its connection.

MyQ devices will not connect due to a block port on the TMHI gateway, only way around it is a secondary router

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I guess I'm confused since mine works? And the T-Mobile gateway doesn't block ports, it just doesn't allow Network Address Translation (NAT). I stick by what I said above, I think the MyQs need a dumbed-down 2.4 MHz network.

Anyway, glad to hear you got ‘em working!

Same issue here. I went to forward port 8883 and I cannot even login using 192.168.12.1

It's an issue with the Arcadian Gateway

I’ve linked the TMobile gateway with an Arris router. I don’t see anything new to connect the MyQ. Do I need to configure something new on the router to chose while connecting the MyQ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you have the Arcadyan or Sagemcon gateway you have to manage it via the mobile application. Only the Nokia gateway or the 4G LTE gateway from T-Mobile allow the web GUI access for management. T-Mobile does not provide port forwarding options due to the architecture of their network. They use an IPv6 network and 464XLAT and just don’t support port forwarding options. With some VPN solutions you might find a way around the issue but it entails additional cost and work to get the functionality.

I was trying to use a cable modem! Dug out an old ASUS that Sprint had given me, linked it to the TM gateway, fired it up, and MyQ liked connecting pretty easily! No need to buy new equipment!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Aha, that would explain the problem. Glad you got it all working.

Originally bought a TP LINK and it didn’t work for me. I ended up buying a net gear and works with no issues ! Didn’t even have to mess around with the setting. 

Here is a possible workaround to your problem.

Create a new network in the T-Mobile app. Give it a different name (SSID) than your primary network, configure the frequency as 2.4 MHz only, and choose WPA/WPA2 as the WPA version. 

I did this soulution and it worked  did not need to buy a new router. Thank you!

I got MyQ to work using an old Apple Airport extreme. I plugged the router into the T-Mobile gateway and using the Airport Utility (from the app store) i set it up as it’s own network. MyQ connected right away and no cost to me. I use all Apple devices but Androids should be able to set it up too (maybe). I know it will work on Window machines.

The New Tmobile router model #5688w solves this. Tmobile will upgrade your old one at no charge

Badge

I’m currently doing a two week free trial. In regards to streaming and surfing the internet I have noticed much difference between T-Mobile and xfinity. I thought I found a more affordable alternative and then I attempted to have MyQ, Ring and LOCKLY attached to the WiFi. T-Mobile doesn’t support them. Looks like I’m returning the T-Mobile Gateway and once again stuck with xfinity. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Frankie142622 don’t give up!

Have you tried adding a 2.4GHz network, with WPA/WPA2 security, which has been mentioned in this thread? 

Badge

I have not, but I’m not sure I’m savvy enough. I do have Orbi extenders that I use to use with xfinity before their speeds or signal strength no longer needed it. 

Badge

The New Tmobile router model #5688w solves this. Tmobile will upgrade your old one at no charge

How so? I have model #5688w. I connected all the streaming services with no issues. However, MyQ, Ring, LOCKLY won’t connect. I forgot that even my Shark iBot vacuum won’t either. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Frankie142622 

You could try setting up your Orbi extenders as you had them before.  I’m not too familiar with them, but I assume one part connects via ethernet cable to the gateway.  

Here are more detailed instructions for adding a second network to your Gateway.  (Not using Orbi).  These instructions are for the T-Mobile Internet app, but are about the same on the T Life app.

You can have several Wi-Fi networks on the gateway.  You want to leave the default network alone (2.4 & 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA3 security) and add a second, dedicated 2.4 GHz network.  

Add the second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your MyQ, etc. to this second network.  Use the original default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the Home Internet app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support