Solved

MyQ (Chamberlain) garage door and Gateway 5G router not compatible

• 12 January 2023
  • 31 replies

Show first post

31 replies

Badge

I’m currently doing a two week free trial. In regards to streaming and surfing the internet I have noticed much difference between T-Mobile and xfinity. I thought I found a more affordable alternative and then I attempted to have MyQ, Ring and LOCKLY attached to the WiFi. T-Mobile doesn’t support them. Looks like I’m returning the T-Mobile Gateway and once again stuck with xfinity. 

Badge

I have not, but I’m not sure I’m savvy enough. I do have Orbi extenders that I use to use with xfinity before their speeds or signal strength no longer needed it. 

Badge

The New Tmobile router model #5688w solves this. Tmobile will upgrade your old one at no charge

How so? I have model #5688w. I connected all the streaming services with no issues. However, MyQ, Ring, LOCKLY won’t connect. I forgot that even my Shark iBot vacuum won’t either. 

I got MyQ to work using an old Apple Airport extreme. I plugged the router into the T-Mobile gateway and using the Airport Utility (from the app store) i set it up as it’s own network. MyQ connected right away and no cost to me. I use all Apple devices but Androids should be able to set it up too (maybe). I know it will work on Window machines.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Frankie142622 

You could try setting up your Orbi extenders as you had them before.  I’m not too familiar with them, but I assume one part connects via ethernet cable to the gateway.  

Here are more detailed instructions for adding a second network to your Gateway.  (Not using Orbi).  These instructions are for the T-Mobile Internet app, but are about the same on the T Life app.

You can have several Wi-Fi networks on the gateway.  You want to leave the default network alone (2.4 & 5 GHz; WPA2/WPA3 security) and add a second, dedicated 2.4 GHz network.  

Add the second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app on your phone.  For this new network, set the band to 2.4 GHz and set the WPA version to WPA/WPA2.  Try connecting your MyQ, etc. to this second network.  Use the original default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the Home Internet app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I guess I'm confused since mine works? And the T-Mobile gateway doesn't block ports, it just doesn't allow Network Address Translation (NAT). I stick by what I said above, I think the MyQs need a dumbed-down 2.4 MHz network.

Anyway, glad to hear you got ‘em working!