Solved

New 5g Gateway. Nor able to connect PC or HP printer.

• 13 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I just set up, yesterday. My tv connected. My tablet connect. My voip phone connected. However...my PC and HP printer did not. I spent about 8 hours, yesterday, trying to get my PC to connect. I tried everything I could find on the internet and youtube, with no luck. I get an error message that says I have an invalid IP configuration and noting I've tried has fixed it. Today, I have spent hours tring to connect my printer with no luck. It says the WPA authentication method has been changed from the default setting. I restored the default with no luck. Printer also says I may need to add my printer's  MAC address to the list of permitted devices on the "router". I have printed out wireless network summary, network summary, configuration report and default setting report and nowhere do I see a MAC address, nor would I know how to add it to the gateway. I've run out of things to try and I need access to PC and printer. Any help would be appreciated. TIA. 

icon

Best answer by bocaboy2591 14 January 2023, 00:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Very frustrating. You are not the only one who has experienced this problem. I don't know which gateway T-Mobile sent you, but I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G and this solution may help you.

Go to the phone app and create a new network in addition to the one you're already using. Make the frequency band 2.4 MHz and the WPA version WPA/WPA2. Give it a new name (SSID) and then try and connect your HP and PC.

Make sure you are using DHCP for IP addresses. It may help to completely delete the current setups on those devices and try connecting to them after you've done that. I can only tell you that I have a large network with over 40 devices connected, and I found that the KVD21 had no problem recognizing any device and issuing it an IP.

Badge

OMG!!! Thank you so much! I just got your message, followed your directions and had both PC and printer up and running within 20 minutes. I am ecstatic. It was stressing me out to the point of headache. Thanks again!!!

Badge

Works!  Thanks.  The WPA did the trick.

HP Printer issues SOLVED easily!!

Background: Long time Spectrum Internet customer who finally had enough of price increases with no corresponding increase in value. Decided in March 2023 to try T-Mobile Home Internet on the 15-day test drive. They sent me the 5G Gateway A 32 GB black tower and install was easy enough, but an old Microsoft Surface Pro 3 would not connect so I had to add a network for just 2.4Ghz and use WP2/WPA. Once I had the Surface working, while my HP 5000 series printer was working fine on the new network, my HP 4502 and HP 3755 printers while visible on the T-Mobile Gateway via the android app, were not visible to the Surface. I tried some number of suggestions from this forum but to no avail. I concluded that since everything worked together on the Spectrum network, there must be some sort of security/access/discovery setting inside the T-Mobile gateway that the older HP’s can’t handle and that I can’t get to via any admin app. By the way, last August I purchased an Asus AX-RT 1800 S router ($75 on Amazon) to use in place of Spectrum’s upgraded router because the Spectrum router had almost no admin features like parental controls, filtering, firewalling, VPN, etc.

SO...here come the mic drop… I figured the way around the issue is to plug my Asus router into one of the Ethernet ports on the T-Mobile gateway, effectively rendering the gateway a modem, thus moving all of the traffic, handshaking, filtering and so on to the router. Badda bing, all HP printers working great.

I wish I would have known this up front because other than finding the optimal location for the T-Mobile gateway, install would have taken 10 seconds or less.

Badge

Thank you. This worked for me as well. However, this defeats the purpose of the 5G Gateway, as I cannot use it to connect to my devices.