Solved

OK to leave gateway powered ON all the time?

• 24 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

We have the Sagemcom Fast 5688W gateway.  This is our second one - the first one was junk.  This one is working good...so far.  I have a simple question about extending the life of the unit as much as possible.  Is it better to leave the gateway powered up 24/7 or is it better to turn it off at night when we are not using it?  The unit gets a little warm (not hot) when running, so I’m wondering if turning it off at night and letting it “rest” might extend its life.  Or is it better to avoid cycling it on and off each day?  Just curious what other users are doing.  Thanx for any advice!

icon

Best answer by magenta2045032 24 December 2023, 21:43

View original

4 replies

Badge

Get a cooling fan for the gateway.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1310889492/t-mobile-sagemcom-fan-sma-mount-combo?click_key=b955ef8d04721ea7c27bb3680a4b2d6bcafe8054%3A1310889492&click_sum=c7adf818&ref=hp_rv-1&frs=1

Badge

Internet routers/ gateways, these days are built for 24/7 operation. Electronic components in these typically have certain # ON/OFF cycles as part of their MTBF rating. You can do far less harm by leaving them turned ON (vs turning them OFF daily/ when not in use). Suggest you leave unit near a window (for good reception) where there is air circulation/ good venting and you should be ok

Badge

We have the Sagemcom Fast 5688W gateway.  This is our second one - the first one was junk.  This one is working good...so far.  I have a simple question about extending the life of the unit as much as possible.  Is it better to leave the gateway powered up 24/7 or is it better to turn it off at night when we are not using it?  The unit gets a little warm (not hot) when running, so I’m wondering if turning it off at night and letting it “rest” might extend its life.  Or is it better to avoid cycling it on and off each day?  Just curious what other users are doing.  Thanx for any advice!

Please got take older gateway in to store and exchange for the brand new Arcadian G4AR gateway instead. New gateway has cooling fan and runs cooler. And as retired  electrician I can say tech stuff last way longer by actually leaving electronics run 24/7. If you want to research it, our federal government and consumer reports have done big articles on the durability of new electronics, turning off or leaving on and in the long run. All the study showed that leaving the electronics on actually cause those electronics to last twice as long as the ones that were turned on and off. I know there's going to be people that disagree and say you use more electricity but it's a. It's a small gateway that draws minimum wattage so you're talking pennies a month

Badge

Please got take older gateway in to store and exchange for the brand new Arcadian G4AR gateway instead. New gateway has cooling fan and runs cooler. And as retired  electrician I can say tech stuff last way longer by actually leaving electronics run 24/7. If you want to research it, our federal government and consumer reports have done big articles on the durability of new electronics, turning off or leaving on and in the long run. All the study showed that leaving the electronics on actually cause those electronics to last twice as long as the ones that were turned on and off. I know there's going to be people that disagree and say you use more electricity but it's a. It's a small gateway that draws minimum wattage so you're talking pennies a month

Please just to your gateway now and take to store to exchange for Brand new white G4AR gateway. Way faster router and has twice the transmitter power. Also make sure you set it up with separate WiFi bands. 5hz  and 2.5hz.  Then put any cameras or printers on only the 2.5. Even new printers still run WPA But printers only run on 2.5..   . Make up some B's story to make them exchange for new router. Plus new router has built in cooling fan and never runs hot. You', lol love the new routers way better