Solved

Problem connecting a tablet to home internet

• 10 March 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

We just got T-mobile Home Internet and the setup went well except for one device.  All of our phones, laptops, printers, desktops, smart devices, and all but one tablet connected easily.  One tablet, an 8” Lenovo TB-8705F will not connect to the T-Mobile network.  I have tried it on several other networks and it connects to those fine.  The tablet sees the T-mobile network and can tell that it is locked, but after I enter the network password it refuses to connect.  There are no error messages. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by nc1037 10 March 2024, 02:43

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Your Lenovo tablet should work on the gateway’s standard network, which has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, but it might be better to set up a dedicated 2.4 GHz network.  I would start with WPA2/WPA3 security, but if that doesn’t work, try reducing it to WPA/WPA2.

Some devices cannot see or connect to the gateway’s default network.  You want to leave this network alone and ADD a second network with the + sign at the bottom of the Network tab in the T-Mobile Internet app.  Set the band to 2.4 GHz. Try connecting your device to this second network.  Use the default network for your other devices, as much as possible.

Here are the T-Mobile support instructions for how to add the second network with the app.

Android  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | Android | T-Mobile Support

iOS  How to create additional Wi-Fi networks | T-Mobile Internet app | iOS | T-Mobile Support

Badge

NC1037 - Well that was a simple solution.  I created the VLAN and set the band to 2.4 GHz.  That didn’t solve the issue, so I dropped the security back to WPA/WPA2.  The tablet then connected fine.

Thank you, kind sir or madam!