Solved

Public IP that routes to your 5g internet device

• 27 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I’ve tried calling customer/technical support (got nowhere) and I went to the t-mobile brick and mortar up the street, with zero resolution. Neither could provide me with an email/phone number for an it department, so unfortunately I’ll be posting this here. So, I found a public ip address that sent me directly to my 5g gateway device’s information that contained the serial number, UI version, firmware version, run time, and my internet connection status via HTTP. That’s correct, not a HTTPS address, HTTP. I’m not a professional but it concerns me that there’s a way to access peoples 5g gateway devices which I’m sure someone more intelligent than myself could use to exploit the device...which my internet traffic flows through...and has no firewall… What’s the solution for this? 

icon

Best answer by Sporky 27 September 2023, 06:21

View original

2 replies

Badge

Userlevel 1

From the portion of information provided it simply looks that you are under the 192.168.12.1/home url.That is not a public ip address that lets anyone simply have access to your router information,Its used only from devices within the network to access the cut down admin portal of the router.On a secondary note the firmware your 5g home is using does not allow anyone including your self to do anything to your router as T-mobile started shipping certain routers with firmware forcing users to either use a third party non tmobile application to do anything via their Computer using api’s.T-mobile has gone to using their T-mobile Internet application on your ios or android device for making simple changes to your router.