Solved

Resetting connections

• 11 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just purchased the 5G home internet and am about to set it up. For all the information they give you, they seem to have left out a lot. For instance, most homes use a wifi router or mesh system like mine. Do you need to connect the new tower to the wifi router? What’s the benefit of using the existing router? Also, I have 30 devices (firesticks, laptops, ring cameras, etc) on my network. Even if I rename the TMO5G network to my existing network name and password, do I have to do anything to the devices like forget the network and readd? 

icon

Best answer by copz1998 11 September 2023, 16:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@Mike70 you will want to use the TM Gateway as a gateway to T-Mobile’s network to provide you Internet access. Then, you should plug into your router via ethernet cable. So your network topology should look like this: devices (Firestick, tablets, phones, etc.) > router (mesh or single wifi device) > TM Gateway. 

After setting up the T-Mobile gateway using the T-Mobile internet app, then you can setup your router - plug it in and set up your SSID and alike. Then point your devices to the router SSID and you should be up and running. 

Let us know if this works for you.

Badge

Is there a benefit to using the wifi router if the Gateway is a router as well??

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Yes, the gateway has limited adjustment and the router can add more devices and provide better functionality. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Mike70, you’ll also want to disable the wireless on your TMO gateway.  An easy way to do that is to use the Hint Control app from the Google Play Store