Question

Retaining the Router Function of My Orbi Mesh Network with the T-Mobile Home Internet 5G Gateway

• 12 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge

Currently running an Netgear Orbi Router & Satellite mesh network in my home that currently connects to a cable modem. I have numerus wi-fi connected devices (Amazon Echo(s), Fire TV sticks, thermostats, security cameras, iPad tablets, Nest devices, Ring devices, etc.) attached to my network via wi-fi, and another 10 or so devices connected via ethernet, one of which is my home server running Plex. Some of the devices have reserved IP addresses assigned to them.

I’d like to continue to use my Orbi router when my new T-Mobile Home Internet 5G Gateway is setup so the Orbi router continues to handle all of my wi-fi needs along with DHCP assignments.

Can I just connect the Orbi routers WAN port to one of the ports on the 5G Gateway and be done with it or are there other steps I need to take?

8 replies

Plug your main Orbi internet port into the trashcan and you should be good for most stuff.  At least outbound stuff will work ok this way.

Plex is way more difficult. Go over to Reddit and follow the T-Mobile ISP group.

I have the exact same question.  We switched from a cable modem to the 5G Gateway.  We currently have an Orbi wireless router hooked up to the cable modem, and we would like to keep the Satellites in place. 

Is there a guide for doing this?  That is, connecting the Orbi router and satellites to the new 5G gateway

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Connect your WAN port on the Orbi to an ethernet port on your TMO router. From there you have two options on the Orbi side:

1. Access point mode - this will keep the DHCP function on your TMO router.
  2. Automatic IP - this will create another DHCP function on your Orbi system.

You probably want to run some speed tests in both options to see if there is a difference. If equal speed, you should go with option 2 since that enables more network features/options. You can also disable the WIFI on your TMO router in either case. The process is different with Nokia and Arcadyn but there are YouTube videos on how to disable on both.

I have an Orbi RBR850 and I've connected it to my 5G device. I have the Arcadyan KVD21 and I've connected the Wan port on my Orbi and it works for about a minute and then I have no Internet. I've tried setting my Orbi up as an AP and still no go. I'm getting really good speeds so I thought it would be a perfect time to switch over to T-Mobile's Internet and stop paying the high cost of cable.

What I don't like about the Arcadyan, you can't turn off the Wi-Fi unless you run a bunch of commands. The interface is rather limited. Well... Extremely limited. 

Badge

I have the same question.  I had added (actually Best Buy) an orbi mesh network with satellites to my at&t fiber router.  Now I am changing to t-mobil home internet.  When I signed up for this I was told by the t-mobil rep moving my orbi system to the new gateway would be no problem.  Well, I called Into t-mobil asking for help to do this - only after putting the t-mobil gateway in place was I informed by the tech that he could not help me with the orbi mesh hook up.  So now do I have to pay for another tech to come to the house to set this up? or is there anyone at t-mobil who can help me do this.  I am a computer appreciator not a comp expert! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

...You probably want to run some speed tests in both options to see if there is a difference. If equal speed, you should go with option 2 since that enables more network features/options. You can also disable the WIFI on your TMO router in either case...

If your upload speeds are lower with the Orbi in router mode, you can try enabling IPv6 passthrough on the Orbi. That has helped some people get the upload speeds back where they were through the gateway’s wifi.

Folks, is Orbi router working fine for you in router mode with Orbi WAN port connected with arcadyan LAN port? I am having issue with rbk50 where devices are not getting internet when they are given 192.168.1.x IP by Orbi router.

I have same issue with the switch from ATT to T mobile internet and Orbio that is refusing to connect. Did anyone get solutions? Which cable to try the connect from wan to tM router? This is frustrating and I am a novice ..sigh….