RJ11 Jack on Home Internet Gateway

• 6 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Does anyone know if you can hook a standard phone up directly to the gateway? My Ooma won't connect to the gateway and I get nothing when I plug the phone directly into the RJ11 jack either. The Users Manual doesn't even mention the jack . 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It probably represents and unimplemented telephone capability. Which model Ooma do you have?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Are you referring to the new gray tower gateway, 5G21? If so, that port is disabled. Your Ooma needs to be on the network, so that means you’ll need to connect a network cable from the Ooma to one of the network ports on the gateway. Or, if you have the Ooma wireless adapter, configure your Ooma to connect to the gateway’s WiFi.

Then, plug your phone’s RJ 11 plugs into your Ooma.

Badge

Thanks. New gray tower. And It's the Telo 2 wireless. I tried my old Telo too and no luck. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Does anyone know if you can hook a standard phone up directly to the gateway? My Ooma won't connect to the gateway and I get nothing when I plug the phone directly into the RJ11 jack either. The Users Manual doesn't even mention the jack . 

No, its impossible to use Ooma with that jack.
You do not say what your particular issue is but I am going to guess you can only get inbound calls.

If so, reset your Nokia while the Ooma is still powered up.

If that doesnt work, 

Try removing power form the Ooma and while the Ooma is unplugged, reset the Nokia, while the Nokia is resetting quickly plug the Ooma back in.

If that doesnt work, 

Try removing the power from the Ooma, Factory Default the Nokia, while it defaults quickly plug the Ooma back in.

None of the above works all the time but I have been able to get my Ooma working in the above manner. Pain in the neck for sure, cant really blame TMobile for that, its an Ooma issue. 

If you check out the manual it says it's temporary disabled. They are working out on the kinks.

Here is a strategic opportunity for TMobile to compete with Ooma and all other VOIPs when they activate that RJ11 jack. Imagine the possibilities for an old-school house that is wired for house phones, Gateway phone jack to the network, boom you'd have unlimited service all over the house. If that is too far removed from current lifestyles, just imagine plugging a multiunit wireless phone to it and have wireless clones through out. 

If this is what Tmobile is aiming at (even with out using the 5G portion) it could grab a bigger slice of the VOIP market. 

I hope this Q&A string remains open until that happens. 

I agree currently have straight talk home phone (cellular) it can run house phone through wiring. rather have this running it.