Question

SP Red Test Only

• 30 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I just set up T-mobile internet, the modem/router I was sent was a KVD21, manufactured by Arcadyan Technology Corporation.

The internet works fine, although I am still testing speeds when the modem is in different locations of my home. One question has arisen though: There are two wireless network SSIDs broadcasting. The one I named and use, and another named "SP Red Test Only". The Test Only wireless network cannot be connected to, when a device tries it refuses to connect. The question part is: can this be shut off? When I search around the internet, I find that this type of thing occurs with a few different wireless routers, and there are ways to turn it off on those devices, but The Arcadyan KVD21 with the T-mobile firmware does not offer this option.

This type of configuration may seem harmless, but its a security risk. I don't even like to broadcast the networks SSID, which dosen't seem like I can turn that off either.(I know there are ways around that). But, now there are two SSIDs broadcasting.. how do I shut that off?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The Arcadyan KVD21 software version might be a reason for this. You did not post the version of code it is on but checking with T-Mobile and asking support direct about this. It is probably something engineering has seen and may or may not have a fix. It might be the result of some hardware/software interaction. The Arcadyan gateway is so new a crazy bug in the code is not too much to imagine. 

You might be able to turn that off IF you can see a reference to the SSID in the configuration. Go and check out Nater Tater’s YouTube video(s). He has one about how to turn the SSID off in the Arcadyan router through a rather creative access. 

Badge

Same thing here -  SP RED TEST ONLY shows up  as  WiFi and I am concerned it is pulling data or clogging up my REAL signal. I can’t get rid of the dang thing. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

There are two wireless network SSIDs broadcasting. The one I named and use, and another named "SP Red Test Only". The Test Only wireless network cannot be connected to, when a device tries it refuses to connect.

Wow!  Looking at some source code, that SSID is associated with “Free service for test purpose”, and an actual login id “anonymous@hotspot.net”.

Badge

How can I get rid of Red Test only? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Again:

You might be able to turn that off IF you can see a reference to the SSID in the configuration. Go and check out Nater Tater’s YouTube video(s). He has a video about how to turn the SSIDs off in the Arcadyan router through a rather creative access. You would do the same for all three wifi frequencies, the 2.4 GHz & the two 5 GHz radios. 

Go watch the Nater Tater YouTube video. The one where he shows how to disable the SSID on each radio frequency. If you follow the directions he provides and get the config.txt file out you will probably see that SSID listed in the router config. If the configuration has that SSID in it, which it probably does, then you can change the value of the enable SSID to false vs true and turn it off as with any other SSID. The other option would be to edit the configuration file to remove the “Red Test Only” SSID and the associated parameters for it. 

All the commands are there to download the configuration file and how to edit it, and how to send the modified file back into the gateway. If you did make a mistake and the config did not work you could always reset it to factory default to recover. If the device is like the switches I have worked with over the years it will generate a factory default configuration file if it has only a corrupt configuration file. You might have to use the reset switch and process to reset it to factory default but that is not hard. 

Attached is a copy of the Arcadyan user guide. It has helpful information. 

If you don’t feel comfortable using that process to try to have that disabled or gone then call support and work it out with customer support. Watching the video and following Nater Tater’s guide will probably be faster and get the job done. Its your call my friend. It is an odd issue I agree but if there are no clients connected to the SSID then it will be doing nothing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

There are two wireless network SSIDs broadcasting. The one I named and use, and another named "SP Red Test Only". The Test Only wireless network cannot be connected to, when a device tries it refuses to connect.

Wow!  Looking at some source code, that SSID is associated with “Free service for test purpose”, and an actual login id “anonymous@hotspot.net”.

Well, given that is the case you probably have a good idea the device was probably tested. 😎