T-mobile gateway with seperate router

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m just starting out on T-Mobile home internet but didn’t want to stop using my Asus Router which is set up nicely already to handle everything in this household (both wifi and ethernet). Here’s what I did to avoid any problems.

I hooked my Router’s WAN port (which use to go to my cable modem) to one of the two ethernet ports on the back of the T-Mobile Gateway. To avoid double NAT and other problems, I went to Administration on my Asus RT-AX82U and changed it from Wireless Router to Access Point. I made sure to download the Device Discovery Utility linked under Access Point before saving the change so I could get the Router IP address to log into it after the Router reboots.  Then just type the new IP into the browser to continue managing the Router.

I hope this helps anyone that simply wants to keep using their Router and it’s setup with the T-Mobile Gateway. I can’t totally disable the wifi in the T-Mobile Gateway (mine is the Sagemcom), but I switched it to 5Ghz only in the Tmobile app to cut down on any interference (which hasn’t been a problem anyway) and still only use the WiFi from my Asus Router.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@jsavga thanks for the tutorial, I am sure it will help others. 

Thanks a bunch!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Jsavga, what is it that you're trying to accomplish with your router that you don't think you can do with your T-Mobile gateway? If you have it set up as an access point, you really can't program it to do anything and simply add to the complexity of your setup.

Userlevel 2
Badge

boca, my router has an extensive wifi network going with many different items connecting and is already setup the way I want things. In addition I can have a guest network and point it to a DNS server of my choosing. I can also set rules.

By using it instead of configuring the Gateway to hook up everything, I didn’t have to configure or change anything other than unplugging my cable to the cable modem, plug it into the gateway, and switch the mode from router to access point.

I still have much more control over my network and very strong wifi throughout my home.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I was considering the same setup you have when I first got my gateway, but I decided to see just how good or bad the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway performed before I connected my existing router.

The first trick during setup is to name the network(s) on your new gateway the same as your router. So, if your SSID was named PickleJuice on your old router, give the new network the same name. Devices on your network should connect automatically and not know the difference. You can do this very quickly using the T-Mobile phone app under the Network tab.

As for DNS, I handle that at the client level, not the router. What often works for one device doesn't for another, and so I do not change DNS on the router, but that’s a personal preference.

As for a guest network, I used the T-Mobile app to create a new network (PickleJuiceGuest) with a different password and that is the only network you have to let your guests use.

The wireless reach of my Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway is surprisingly good, and I don't see much difference between my TP-Link AX50 and the T-Mobile gateway. I still need a WiFi extender in one part of the house, but I needed that with the original network as well.

There is, of course, nothing wrong or incorrect with what you're doing. It drives most of us on the forum crazy that the gateway can't be configured or worse, there is no way to connect an external antenna to boost the T-Mobile signal. I just want to eliminate as much complexity from my home network as possible, and having only one device instead of two is part of that philosophy.

Userlevel 1
Badge

First, I’ll commend JSAVGA for beginning this discussion --- this topic should prove valuable for new users.  I am using a similar setup --- in MY case with a similar ASUS router and Windows 7.  I have had two TM gateways --- the gray-round one and (eventually) the black-square one.  Each gateway was directly wired to my RT-N66W router and all my numerous connections were immediately available.  I do not use AP mode… my router continues to use the default “router” mode.  I have not experienced any problems with this setup after 1.5 years.  BUT, please let me know if there is a potential danger.   

I’m considering using an ASUS router with the T-Mobile Gateway for security purposes. Would a router provide an additional layer of security to a network than just a stand-alone gateway?

Badge

I wanted to use the Arcadyan’s wifi but the range was just not good in my home.  Decided to try and just hook my Eero’s to it. So far, have not noticed any issues with double NAT and is working great for my uses. I prefer a separate router anyway as Eero pushes out regular updates.  Have only received one update for the Arcadyan gateway in 7 months. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I’m considering using an ASUS router with the T-Mobile Gateway for security purposes. Would a router provide an additional layer of security to a network than just a stand-alone gateway?

Yes, most high end ASUS routers have additional security features built-in that go far beyond what the typical ISP provided gateway’s provide. They also offer greater configuration flexibility as well as better monitoring of your home network including data usage by device and other items frequently missing from the ISP gateways. Often this may also include more robust parental controls or more flexible guest network controls. There are any number of valid reasons for opting for a separate router.

It’s not simply about expanding coverage beyond what the TMO gateway provides but adding sometimes crucial features that are missing.

Badge

My ASUS Router has VPN installed that I bought from Flash Routers.  I wanted to keep this functionality  so like many connected the T Mobile unit to the WAN port on the ASUS router.  I am only on the second day of trial of the T Mobile unit.  Only getting 3/5 bars on the T Mobile unit but is 5G.  No issues streaming any videos, YouTube, IPTV, etc.  My ISP provides antivirus and has roadrunner email.  I bought online from eBay seller 3 year Bitdefender AV and set up Yahoo mail.  If T Mobile service remains stable will switch and save $30/month since T Mobile has promo.  My ISP will be increasing cost forcing to call and haggle which I dislike.  Where I live no other fiber/cable available other than my ISP-Spectrum.       

I am new to the TM internet family, So TM provided me with there new White TMO-G4AR Gateway, that has limited access to setting up my Linksys Router, I want my security that I have set up, and control of of my internal lan… but with the new gateway I cannot figure out how to work around TM limited app configuration… If anyone can assist, be much appreciated… Actually I just downloaded the Hint app and it worked like a charm…