Tmobile 5G Internet Gateway doesn't connect with anything old? Terrible customer service?

Badge

Bought new 5G Gateway, with great expectations from Tmobile, having been old customers of Tmobile for nearly 8 years. Wanted to change from current AT&T internet, perfectly working, only to get rid of all the wires.

How difficult could it be, right?

Came home to find it doesn’t connect to older Apple TV. Apple TV set-up wouldn’t give a ‘password entry’ page. Morons at “Customer Service” were of no service. Finally, went to Apple Store. Tried a new Apple TV router… connected! Technician said, old Apple TV did not have a new security protocol used perhaps in Tmobile gateway.

Well, NOW, I find the thing doesn't connect Tommy printers either. DOES T-MOBILE EXPECT PEOPLE TO BUY BRAND NEW EQUIPMENT, REPLACING EVERYTHING IN THEIR HOMES TO MEET THE SECURITY PROTOCOLS DESIRED OF TMOBILE??? The gateway setting ONLY ALLOW split of 2.4G & 5G networks… NO possibility of any other setting except name!

So now, I have to buy 2 new printers, just to keep on T-mobile internet?

REGRETTING DECISION TO MAKE THE CHANGE!! Customer service? 40-50 ,min wait times each time I called. So tired, went to store twice. Didn't expect this is where Tmobile will go once it takes over sprint. Seems, its gone into the dumps!

And honestly, do we still need to be told a 1000 times when waiting for a CSR to put a wi-fi box at a high position and away from a microwave? Get your act straight T mobile. I've never written review like this in my life!!

scottjd 1 year ago

Some older devices don’t support or like WPA3 security encryption in the WiFi. Like the other comment mentioned I would change the wpa2/wpa3 setting to wpa/wp2 for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Or maybe your older devices also don’t use 5Ghz so you could keep that one the same.

View original

11 replies

To get my older devices to connect to the 5g gateway, I needed to change the wpa2/wpa3 setting to wpa/wp2.  No problems connecting anything now 🙂

I’ve been on hold myself with tech support. No one knows how to connect my laptop to the tmoblie modem. I’ve just had the service for two days.

Some older devices don’t support or like WPA3 security encryption in the WiFi. Like the other comment mentioned I would change the wpa2/wpa3 setting to wpa/wp2 for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Or maybe your older devices also don’t use 5Ghz so you could keep that one the same.

YUP changing back to WPA2 also fixed my Canon TS8300 printer connection .

Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

One option for more information, if you are still inclined, is to view Nater Tater’s YouTube videos about accessing the “hidden” settings of the gateway. The config can be exported, modified, and then sent back into the gateway but this is a manual effort that takes a little technical ability. It is not super difficult and he makes the tasks much simpler but it takes care and time and in some cases a little experimentation to get results. 

Older printers may only support WPA or possibly WPA2 authentication so the 2.4GHz channel needs to also have those for the authentication. Some older printers just don’t play well with the 802.11ax implementation used with the T-Mobile gateways. Wireless extenders that have wifi compatibility with the older wireless adapters can be used as a workaround for older printer connections. 

Some subscribers have used added mesh solutions that do play nice with their older equipment but this leads to more cost associated with the solution and more work to get everything established. Sometimes it is like opening Pandora’s box. The more older devices you have the more challenge it becomes. 

I am a totally technically deficient 64 year old who just moved to AZ and purchased a T-Mobile gateway for our home wi-fi system.  Both our iPhones and ASUS laptop connected just fine but I can’t seem to connect my older iPad to the system.  Based on the info in this stream it appears I need to change my “wpa2/wpa3 to wpa/wpa2”. I have no idea what this means or how to get to this area in my iPad.  Can anyone provide me with some direction?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Depending upon the age of your iPad its authentication type (WPA, WPA2, WPA3) is probably either WPA or WPA2. The other factor is the capability of the wireless module inside the iPad. It really depends upon the generation of the iPad. Currently there are 9 generations of “iPads”. You can look at the very fine print on the back of the iPad toward the lower part of the back of the iPad and see the info more than likely with magnification. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201471

That can tell you the model and then you can identify how old it is. If it is a 5th generation or earlier the wireless connectivity may make getting it connected a bit more of a challenge. My guess is you probably need to get someone (from T-Mobile support) to assist you to create an additional SSID, i.e. 2.4GHz network ID on the gateway and establish/allow the WPA/WPA2 authentication types to get it to connect. Your iPad can only do what it is capable of so the gateway ALSO has to present that option to the iPad to get it connected. 

My guess is that the iPad is old enough that it only supports up to 802.11n wireless and the only WPA or WPA/WPA2 authentication. It is not uncommon for older wireless devices with earlier versions of wireless capability to be a challenge to get connected with the T-Mobile gateways that have the newest released version of wireless technology. 

The terms WPA WPA2 WPA3 refer to the encryption type. If the iPad only speaks/translates WPA encryption type then the gateway must present that option to the iPad. If the gateway only presents WPA2-WPA3 and the iPad can only use WPA encryption it cannot play. The other aspect is the version of the wireless capability of the iPad which, if older, will need a bit of extra attention. 

Another option is to take a wireless extender and connect that to the gateway and then present the network name (SSID) to the iPad with authentication it can translate with. I am sure if you can find someone that has some technical knowledge of wireless to help you you will have a good shot at getting it connected. If you have the model number I can look that information up and determine the age and the wireless capability of the wireless module in the iPad. 

Depending upon the T-Mobile gateway you have that also will dictate the process and steps required to make the changes to the gateway to accommodate the iPad for connectivity. Is the gateway a round cylinder with a small LED on top of it or a small black tower with rounded corners and an LED display on the front. That is also necessary to know to provide more details as to how to get it done. If you reach out to T-Mobile support and can get an agent that is really helpful you have a shot at getting it done. 

I am happy to try to answer questions and I will try to keep them clear so as to not make the tech too daunting. With networking and todays technology it is hard to not speak in tech terms.

I am a totally technically deficient 64 year old who just moved to AZ and purchased a T-Mobile gateway for our home wi-fi system.  Both our iPhones and ASUS laptop connected just fine but I can’t seem to connect my older iPad to the system.  Based on the info in this stream it appears I need to change my “wpa2/wpa3 to wpa/wpa2”. I have no idea what this means or how to get to this area in my iPad.  Can anyone provide me with some direction?  

I changed the setting in the gateway using the T-Mobile Internet app. Go to the network tab, choose your network, and the setting is under advanced settings, titled WPA Version. Hope this helps you 

Badge

If you have the older round gateway, go to 2.4 and change the transmission frequency to n/g.  Worked for me.  If you have the newer square gateway, your older network adapters won’t get wifi.  I had to buy a USB network adapter.  I wasn’t happy about it.

I just finished setting up my Samsung TV. It could see my internet, but could not connect. I found the solution to be in the set up of the Gateway. Open the Tmobile internet app on your phone. Choose Network. Scroll down to WPA Version. Choose WPA/WPA2 this should allow your samsung tv (and most likely older ipads and iphones to connect to the gateway. I hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

you should be able to run WPA3 but you must make sure personal-transition is selected so it’ll still use 2.4.