TMOBILE Restricts Security Configuration

• 3 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

Stunning.

T-Moblile has intentionally restricted configuration and security controls on their devices.  Their software overlay (no one builds devices this way) intentionally restricts basic security features, including:

1. MAC filtering
  2. ip allocation
  3. subnet control
  4. ip address configuration
  5. Port configuration
  6. Turn wireless on and off
  7. ip pass through
  8. dns selection
  9. ipv6 availability
  10. firewall...whats that?
  11. VPN access
  12. pretty much everything you need to do to secure your internet.

Actually easier to say here is what you can do:

Name your wireless network

Set Passwords

hide the home wireless network

Customer service openly acknowledges that the president of T-Mobile is aware of this and reportedly will not change it.  

THIS TMOBILE DECISION IS INTENTIONAL.   They try to tell you it's the manufacturer but try to find a company that makes a device so shoddily configured.  STUNNINGLY the app has more control than trying to login directly.

ctny 2 months ago

This is basically the hotspot function from the phone in a different form factor. It is not for prosumers.

View original

4 replies

Badge

This is basically the hotspot function from the phone in a different form factor. It is not for prosumers.

Wonder if there's a way to bypass the front end and make changes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

HINT Control.

Badge

I think that someone say wanting to do something like access their home computer via port forwarding at some software on their system such as VNC or Microsoft Remote Desktop is a fairly common thing done by average users that have the need.

Mr. Jones has an office job, he works at home, he needs access to his desktop if something happens over the weekend while he’s out of town helping Momma Jones cut the grass and do a few home items.

I could sit here and spout out “average user scenario X, Y, Z” to continue but it’s not worth my time to do that, nor someone else’s time to read.

I wouldn’t call them “Pro”sumers. There’s a lot of simple things people need to do like that.

I mean geez they even disable UPNP