Question

USB "C" port

• 30 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

What is the purpose of the USB c port in the 5g home internet gateway? When I ordered my 5g Home internet the Gateway came with a USB c port in the back. Also when I placed the order, the Customer Service Person told me I had to have an external battery but didn’t explain what it is for. I was charged $21 for the battery, which I received before I received my Gateway. Now I’m really confused as to the purpose of the battery and the non-functional USB “C” port.

7 replies

The online support guide for this gateway device says this. I had the same question too but it seems it's useless at the moment

NOTE The USBC and RJ11 voice ports currently are not functional .

Support guide link: https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/getting-started-high-speed-internet-gateway

I’m using the USB-C port to power my Google WiFi. Keeps everything minimal and clean looking. Not sure if this is what’s intended for, put it works! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yeah, it’s non-functional except does supply USB power 

Userlevel 2
Badge

how much power does it have? I am thinking to power a cpu fan to cool the 5G gateway itself….one fan says 0.3A at 5 V.  I think it has enough power, but the amazon product page says “if more than 0.3A at 5v, it will damage the fan” which does not make sense. it should only take what it needs? USB-C has like 100 watts possible.

how much power does it have? I am thinking to power a cpu fan to cool the 5G gateway itself….one fan says 0.3A at 5 V.  I think it has enough power, but the amazon product page says “if more than 0.3A at 5v, it will damage the fan” which does not make sense. it should only take what it needs? USB-C has like 100 watts possible.

I tied it with my small fan but doesnt power up???

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I tied it with my small fan but doesnt power up???

You sure the fan is 5V? Most PC fans are 12V. If it’s 5V and not working on the gateway but works in other USB ports then it could indicate that the gateway USB port is not fully functional.

I'm trying to use it to connect a flash drive, but that's not working either