Question

Using the TMobile ISP Box sim in a Netgear LB1120

Show first post

33 replies

Badge

Working on the same issue.  Put together the following build to move the Home Internet SIM to a better device and experienced the same failure.  A vanilla account SIM on the fast.t-mobile.com APN connects fine and the Home Internet SIM on fbb.home does not work at all (no network association).  I have gone so far as to reprogram the modem IMEI to match the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway IMEI without resolution.  I do this for a living and it does not make sense.

• Build:
    + MikroTik RouterBOARD RBM11G
    + Quectel EP06-A mPCIe LTE modem
    + Case, antenna, connectors, etc.

Couple of questions, if I may.  One, did you contact TMobile about doing this separate modem and getting it to work?  Second, what exactly did you put together, and what was the cost?  I’m thinking of trying the same.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Interesting post on reddit… 

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/jbfnt6/home_internet_5g_gateway_coming_soon/

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

So, is the T-Mobile Home Internet SIM card locked to the TM-RTL0102?

Can I use this device somewhere other than at home? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

No, does not apply.  MAC is to IEEE 802 tech as IMSI is to cellular.  So changing the IMEI on the modem is the only thing to change side from the information that follows the SIM (IMSI / ICCID).  The ISP MAC locking you are referring to is for client devices. 

Good to know.  I haven’t used any wireless broadband home services.  T-Mobile’s isn’t available where I am either.  Sadly, the only option we have is Cox, which is pretty unreliable.  

Userlevel 1

No, does not apply.  MAC is to IEEE 802 tech as IMSI is to cellular.  So changing the IMEI on the modem is the only thing to change side from the information that follows the SIM (IMSI / ICCID).  The ISP MAC locking you are referring to is for client devices. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Working on the same issue.  Put together the following build to move the Home Internet SIM to a better device and experienced the same failure.  A vanilla account SIM on the fast.t-mobile.com APN connects fine and the Home Internet SIM on fbb.home does not work at all (no network association).  I have gone so far as to reprogram the modem IMEI to match the T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway IMEI without resolution.  I do this for a living and it does not make sense.

• Build:

Since you were able to change the IMEI of the modem you are trying to use in place of the T-Mobile modem.  Have you also tried cloning the MAC Address of the T-Mobile modem to the modem you want to use?  Some ISP’s also require the MAC Address of the router to be entered in the modem.  I am not sure if either would work, but ISP’s do vary quite a bit in their setup.  

Userlevel 1

• Build:

I was Wondering about this too. I have a place that needs an external antenna to catch the signal better and non of their devices have that.

As it is now I pay $40 a moth prepaid for 10 gigs. I would love to pay 50 for unlimited. It's a shame Tmobile doesn't think about those of us that could use this kind of thing in rual areas.