Question

voice jitter and poor upload speeds

• 30 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

My sagescom 5g gateway has

• connection quality: Good / 3 bars
  • ookla Speedtest shows: download 531Mbps and upload 12.4 Mbps

In phone calls / video calls via computer, other party complains voice dropping / not able to hear clearly

I’ve tried placing gateway at various windows around home and result is the same. The current position is on its side and I’m getting the best download/ upload speeds

at a loss to find out what’s causing the gateway to cause the poor voice conversation

ps: had AT&T fiber 300 up/down service and did not have this issue and just switched to tmo 5g internet service a week ago

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@magenta2045032, with upload speeds of 500+ Mbps and download speeds of 12+ Mbps, it seems to me your gateway is located in a good spot. I have speeds of 50 Mbps up and 8 Mbps down and have no problem whatsoever on my computer with videocalls. 

Is your computer connected to the gateway by Ethernet cable or by Wi-Fi? 

If you post screenshots of your “Advance cellular metrics” (in the “More” tab) in your TMO HI app, maybe someone in the community will spot something and be able to help you more.

Badge

minor correction - my download speed is 531 Mbps and upload is 12.4 Mbps

To answer your Q’s…

Computer is connected via Wi-Fi (have a mesh network with good coverage/ signal)

Attached are the Adv cellular metrics (both 5G and LTE) screenshots from the TMo HI app

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@magenta2045032, your metrics are similar (in some cases, better) than mine. I cannot advise you on how to correct your computer video calls issue, but my hunch is that the gateway is not at fault.  Maybe someone else in the community can help you figure out a solution.