Question

vpn

• 8 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I am thinking about getting a vpn. I have the black gateway for the home internet. Are there any connectivity issues

2 replies

Badge

I have tried a number of VPN’s with the black Sagecom gateway and had nothing but issues. I don’t usually have a problem connecting to the VPN, but once connected the speeds are a 10th of the non-VPN speeds. Unfortunately, in my area TMO has oversubscribed so the non-VPN speeds are nothing to brag about anymore. That said, even during those rare times when the speeds are respectable (30+Mbps which is itself sad) I’m lucky to get 10Mbps download speeds, more typically 5Mbps or less.  I have tried the MTU setting changes and it’s no better.  With the old Nokia trash can gateway I used to easily get speeds with a VPN that were 90% of the non-VPN speeds. The black gateway is trash.

Customer support is of no use with their ridiculous traffic on a freeway explanations they try to use to explain network congestion. It doesn’t help when the network is ALWAYS congested during those hours home users would actually want to use the Internet. I’ve been a TMO customer for going on 10 years now and will likely be jumping ship to another carrier if this continues. 

Badge

I would like to know if you would be able to give me a couple of suggestions on getting a VPN