Question

Wifi extenders

• 8 January 2021
  • 29 replies

Show first post

29 replies

Badge

You want to use as few extenders as possible. Every one slows your network down.

I’m in the middle of a free two week trial with T-Mobile Gateway. Things seem to be going well, but I’m thinking about hooking up Netgear’s Orbi Mesh Extenders. I have outdoor screened-in lights, ceiling fan and a garage door camera that needs to be on the 2.4GHz. I’m thinking I may need something that strengthens the signal. But after reading your comment I’m confused. Mesh extenders slow the WiFi connection? 

Badge

You’re welcome to use one of these WiFi devices but I’d be careful as their not devices we can guarantee it’ll work. What T-Mobile can do is file Service Complaint with our engineering team to look into the coverage in your area for fixes and updates.

And how would I go about doing that? Last night at around midnight, almost every single night, the 2.4 & 5.0 completely disconnects and the only way to reconnect is by unplugging everything. And tech support wants me to hard reset as thecanswer to everything. I have already done that 4 times. Still same issues Totally frustrated.

Userlevel 1

Personally, i would just disable the WiFi from the T-Mobile modem and use a good router, like an Asus RT-AX86U in Access Point Mode, to have better, stronger, and faster WiFi by connecting it to the ethernet port on the modem.

I can connect the asus to the nokia but I am not sure which settings to toggle off on the TMobilw gui. I can’t seem to access the Asus gui now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Need to know which IP it is using.  Depending on the mode it is running in, it is either acting as the gateway for your devices, or as basically a switch with it's own sort of "sideline" IP addresss.

Check the network config of a device connected to find it's gateway address, and try connecting to that in a browser.

For example, on a Windows system, can open a command prompt window and run the command "ipconfig"... running "ipconfig /all" will give even more detail.

Hitting this address in a browser should prompt you for a login, either for the router or the modem, depending on how things are setup.

If it is the Asus, done and done.  If it is the TMO modem, then login to it and check the connected clients list to see what IP got assigned to the Asus and use that IP instead.