Solved

international data roaming

• 15 June 2023
  • 13 replies

Badge

Hi! My phone number is 954294**** , Yuliya G. What's going on with my international data roaming? My plan includes 5gb mobile data out of state. In this billing cycle I spend 3.73 gb and got a message from T-Mobile that I will get additional charge $500 and suspension. 

icon

Best answer by Evrika42 15 June 2023, 22:39

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

has the majority of your billing cycle been roaming in another country? if so that might be why.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

The majority of your usage must be on the T-Mobile network.  If you spend a lot of time traveling, use WiFi Calling as much as you can.  T-Mobile reserves the right to terminate lines and or accounts for excessive roaming.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Having phone service is never more important than when you are traveling. We cannot access account details here, but we can still provide some answers. 

Where are you currently travelling? Normally there is no additional charge for data, but there are charges for talk time. You can check the rates for talk, text, and data on our International Travel page.

If you are on a cruise ship, the charges can be much higher. When traveling within the 215+ countries that we have roaming agreements in the calling rates are only 25 cents per minute, but if you are no the phone for a LONG time, that can stack up too. Once you hit a high amount of international charges, we can suspend the account to prevent further charges and then will reactivate it once you talk to our customer support team to discuss what is charging and how to minimize those charges. 

Hope this helps. 

Badge

I used to be in Ireland, Scotland, England, Netherlands, Latvia and others European countries. In each country I got a welcome message from t-mobil T-Mobile: Welcome to Ireland! Your plan includes coverage that gives you 5GB/mo. of high-speed data On Us, plus unlimited texts at no extra cost. Calls are at $0.25/min. Enjoy your stay!". And today I got four messages, with differentamounts,  the kast one was: "Free T-Mobile Msg: Final notice, your International Data Roaming charges in this bill cycle have reached $500.. To avoid additional charges and possible suspension of your T-Mobile service, turn Data off. Dial #ROF# (#763#)". 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

That data usage is just for your apps.  That does not included other services and apps that are system dependent that are needed for the device to operate correctly.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Yeah, the text messages confirm that the charges are not for data. You have not hit the data allotment, but even if you did, the speed would slow down. It would not charge you extra for data. The charges that you want to look at are phone calls. 

Badge

I didn't do any phone calls 😕 

Badge

Probably I need to contact customer service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Are you using any VOIP apps that might be handing off calls to cellular?

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Then you definitely want to reach out to our customer support team to have them review the pending charges on your line and see where those charges really are. 

Most people on the Community like to send a direct message to us on Facebook or Twitter using the social media links at the bottom of the page. Otherwise, you can call us using our international number found on the Contact Us page. 

Badge

Thank you very much guys for your answers. I just called to customer service and they said that it was technical issue and a lot of customers today got same messages by mistake. Thanks God 😊 Enjoy your travel everyone with 5gb data 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

There are three classes of service: Text, Voice and Data. When international roaming, Voice will generally cost extra. Texts are generally free but may be charged in some countries (e.g.Cuba, Sao Tome & Principe)  In the vast majority of countries data is free but may be throttled. The exceptions are pretty much the same places where texts cost extra. I can’t name any European countries where data and texts cost extra but onboard cruise ships and long-distant ferries all bets are off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thank you very much guys for your answers. I just called to customer service and they said that it was technical issue and a lot of customers today got same messages by mistake. Thanks God 😊 Enjoy your travel everyone with 5gb data 😀

I am so glad to hear that it was an error and you were not getting a ton of charges on your account. Thanks for the update and safe travels!