Question

Is turning off data roaming enough?

• 11 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello. I have an iPhone 14, with the capability of dual eSIM. I am going to be living overseas for approximately 10 months but would like to keep my T-Mobile plan and number active for ease when I return. I have already been informed that if over 50% of your data usage is overseas for about a 2 month period, you will get pinged for excessive roaming and will be warned that your plan will get cancelled if it continues. I’ve also been told that simply not using the data overseas could potentially help you fly under the radar and not get pinged. I just got myself a eSIM for european data, and then turned off data roaming on the T-Mobile eSIM. This way I still receive calls and texts from my US number when connected to wifi, but according to what the phone says it won’t use data or cell signal from the T-Mobile card. However, when I check my phone’s signal it still shows that the T-Mobile card is connecting to cell towers in my area even with roaming turned off. Is having roaming turned off a sufficient way to ensure I don’t use any data on that card, or is it still going to ping me for excessive roaming after some period of time? Thank you.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hello. I have an iPhone 14, with the capability of dual eSIM. I am going to be living overseas for approximately 10 months but would like to keep my T-Mobile plan and number active for ease when I return. I have already been informed that if over 50% of your data usage is overseas for about a 2 month period, you will get pinged for excessive roaming and will be warned that your plan will get cancelled if it continues. I’ve also been told that simply not using the data overseas could potentially help you fly under the radar and not get pinged. I just got myself a eSIM for european data, and then turned off data roaming on the T-Mobile eSIM. This way I still receive calls and texts from my US number when connected to wifi, but according to what the phone says it won’t use data or cell signal from the T-Mobile card. However, when I check my phone’s signal it still shows that the T-Mobile card is connecting to cell towers in my area even with roaming turned off. Is having roaming turned off a sufficient way to ensure I don’t use any data on that card, or is it still going to ping me for excessive roaming after some period of time? Thank you.

I would suggest removing the SIM unless you want to receive texts and calls.  Just turning off data roaming doesn’t always stop it from connecting to the towers as apps can force the device to use SMS and data without being granted the permissions to do so.  If your T-Mobile SIM was an eSIM, you could just disable it while being away unless you are on WiFi while the device is in Airplane Mode to ensure it isn’t connecting to towers. 

WiFi Calling counts as US usage!  Maintaining that majority usage based in the US is important.  If you do happen to get a warning while away.  You can literally remove your SIM or put it in another device that you solely keep in Airplane Mode and on WiFi Calling to ensure it doesn’t trigger another excessive roaming flag.  

Just doing phone calls doesn't use data. That's the cellular service. Data is used when you surf the Internet or use an app connected to the Internet. so turning off data roaming should only effect data usage and not effect sending and receiving phone calls. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Just doing phone calls doesn't use data. That's the cellular service. Data is used when you surf the Internet or use an app connected to the Internet. so turning off data roaming should only effect data usage and not effect sending and receiving phone calls. 

VoLTE and VoNR do use data for calls.  Whether or not that is counted for data use when roaming.  I don't know.  iMessage needs a data connection to function properly.  Using WiFi Calling as much as possible can help a lot.  Putting the device in Airplane Mode or disabling the T-Mobile eSIM when not connected to WiFi can also help.