Question

Short codes for international roaming -- is this normal?

• 25 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

We're going to be traveling abroad next month and I've heard enough horror stories about people getting socked with huge bills that I'm trying to disable charged international roaming. I see there are short codes #763# (off) and #766# (on) to toggle this?

When I use #763#, I get: "SQL Error". For #766# I get "Prepaid Service Not Available!" (Do these codes only work for prepaid?)

Anyway, I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong, or if this is irrelevant with my plan (Magenta Max 55). I have an iPhone SE 2nd Gen, if it matters.

(I also know there is a profile setting on the web site, which we're set to enable roaming but disable charged roaming. Just wondering if this should be working, too.)

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

You you don't want to roam but are taking your device with you.  Put your device in Airplane Mode before leaving the US and leave it in Airplane Mode until you are back in the US.  You can also reach out to Customer Care at 611 or by sending T-Mobile a DM on Facebook or Twitter and ask them to put an international roaming block on your line and potentially account, if more than one line is traveling with you. 

If you plan on using a local SIM when traveling.  Make sure you request the SIM unlock as well, if your device is eligible, so you can use another carrier's SIM on your device.  Apple devices can take weeks to SIM unlock.  

Badge

Thank you.  Do you know if that will block ALL international roaming, or just what it not included with the plan?  I don’t want to disable it entirely; I want to be able to use the data included with my plan.  I just don’t want those accidental and legendary $15/MB data charges.  If using the account profile on the web site is enough, then that’s fine. I just figured I’d look into an extra layer of protection from those huge charges, and was curious why these codes were not working.

I plan to call 611 and inquire about this; I just want to be as informed and educated as I can be before, and know the right questions to ask. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thank you.  Do you know if that will block ALL international roaming, or just what it not included with the plan?  I don’t want to disable it entirely; I want to be able to use the data included with my plan.  I just don’t want those accidental and legendary $15/MB data charges.  If using the account profile on the web site is enough, then that’s fine. I just figured I’d look into an extra layer of protection from those huge charges, and was curious why these codes were not working.

I plan to call 611 and inquire about this; I just want to be as informed and educated as I can be before, and know the right questions to ask. 

If you put an international block on, it will block everything when you are outside of the US.  There are international roaming packages that might be worth considering.  They add blocks of high speed data and other useful ways to stay connected while abroad.

Badge

Thanks again.  Last year on a cruise I remember seeing the $15/MB warning and I was able to use #763# to turn it off.  But now I can’t seem to use these codes any more.  I guess I’ll mention that when I call 611, that I need assistance in making sure I do not block roaming that is included in plan, but only this $15/MB stuff.  I’ll be in Iceland which is included with my plan, but I’d still like to be able to make sure I don’t wind up connecting to some random network not included in the plan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

You are able to add the block yourself without having to call or message a rep. If you log into your account online, you can select the block you want to add so you avoid any surprise charges. 

Our International roaming services T-Mobile Support page says that you can choose between blocking ALL service and just blocking stuff that would charge you. There is also a quick link there that takes you to the page you need to add the blocks. 

Hope this helps. 😁