Solved

Traveling Abroad with Broken Phone

• 26 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am meeting my son in Rome. He is traveling abroad and his phone is acting up. He is on my plan and due for an upgrade. I want to take him a new phone. Will he be able to activate it when I meet him in Rome? I do not want to activate it before I leave the US as I can’t have his current phone shut off. Or should he swap Sim cards and use his old one in the new phone? Will that be easier and do-able?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by gramps28 26 January 2024, 21:08

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The easiest thing to do is swap the sim. I also suggest buying an unlocked phone if he wants to use a local sim.

Badge

Thank you Gramps! He has been traveling for almost 2 years and has not purchased any local sim cards.  He doesn’t really make calls and mostly uses the phone for flight booking, hotel bookings and maps to get around. As long as he has wifi I think he is good to go! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tell your son to stay on wifi since if he uses to much roaming data or calling Tmobile may cancel the line for excessive roaming.

Badge

Went to T-Mobile yesterday and was told no, I cannot purchase a phone and activate it while abroad. Phones purchased out right are still locked for 90-120 days so it cannot be done. They said there is no way to unlock it right away.
I was told I can purchase an unlocked phone through apple (iPhone 15 pro max) and activate it in Italy. Does that sound right? Current phone is a galaxy if that matters!