Question

Unable to place international calls

• 14 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

I purchased the internatonal plan.   I am outside of the states now.  I can text but unable to place calls.  Would you please tell me the steps to place the phone calls.

Thanks

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Do you have roaming enabled on your account?  Usually an International Pass starts the following day after it is purchased.  Do you have roaming turned on in your settings? 

Are you dialing the number properly?  You still need to dial the number like you would from the US because you are calling from a US number to where ever you are trying to call.  

Same as OG. I am abroad and cannot make calls. Text and data are fine. I have the plan setup as well.  I have received calls over the foreign network but cannot make calls. It is so frustrating since I have not had this problem in the past. It does hinder my ability to do business since now I have to physical make trips to the different agents and offices. 

it will not even allow me to call the t-mobile number unless I am on Wi-Fi. Will reach out to them later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Cellphones are great at keeping us connected no matter where we are, so I can see how frustrating it can get when you can’t make a call. Especially when you are in a whole other part of the world!

It is important that you don’t have any blocking features on your account, so log in to your my.t-mobile.com account to review that. We have a great support page that breaks down International Calling and describes how to dial phone numbers based on where you are.

If you make sure there are no blocks on your line and you are dialing correctly, then calls should be going through without error. If you are still unable to make a call, can you share what error message you get when you try? That will be the biggest indicator for what comes next. 

Thanks! 

Not really getting any error codes. The call does not even go trough. I don’t think it a dialing problem since I can make calls via Wi-Fi to the numbers that I am trying to reach. However, once I am on the go and under the local network support, nothing works except data and text. So unless a setting has changed on the phone that I m not aware of since my last trip, I am left to blame the network setup and exchange.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

When you are on wifi, are you using wifi calling? If so, that call goes through as if you are on the US network making those calls. When you leave the wifi, then the only option your phone has is to make a call on the international network. 

If you don’t mind, can you share how you are dialing the number? Are you using the contact that was saved in your phone or are you dialing manually?

If the issue does have to do with the network side, then you would want to reach out to our customer support teams by calling +1-505-998-3793 or direct messaging us on Facebook or Twitter. They would be able to take a deeper look at the account and network side of things to get you all fixed up. 

Manually dialing the number since some are not in my contacts. And I have opened a ticket with tech support since I have another issue going on as well.

Thank you for the help so far.

I have a family member meeting me on my location that is also T-Mobile so we can definitely troubleshoot this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Awesome! Having another person test really helps narrow down the possible causes. 

Are you using the + or 0 before the country code, or have you tried both? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Are you using Plus format? Enter all phone numbers in plus notation (e.g. +33.1.43.12.22.22, +1-212-736-5000).

Exactly the same issue for my wife and I.  I was in Portugal and now in Italy while my wife was in Switzerland and both phones can’t make or receive calls.  Spent at least 8+ hours trying to troubleshoot the issue with various T-Mobile reps to be told at the end that this is a known issue, affecting only certain accounts and certain lines within those accounts (my daughter’s phone works in Italy) where the “Data Roaming Class” or something like that.. .on these lines is not set correctly and according to this rep (Luke), the engineering team is working on this issue…. with no resolution timeline.  And by the way, we both have international passes purchased…

At the end, I was told that these phones are made to work for US market and TMobile doesn’t guarantee that they will work abroad?!?  Wow.. I never heard this before.  They should say that in their commercials when they advertise their phones.

So according to Luke, this is a network issue where Tmobile can’t guarantee that phones will work since they are not made for Italian and Swiss market.  Yet, if this is the case then ALL customers should be affected since this is a network issue.  This is NOT a network issue, this is an internal TMobile customer configuration issue.  It reminds me of my former company where their in-house developed software at some point reached its limits.  It was developed for different times but since my company didn’t want to invest $$$, then it was patched and patched.. and at some point it stopped working.  Nobody was able to fix it anymore.  This is exactly what I am thinking is the case here.  And yet, we depend on phones for everything.

My son is in Switzerland in a camp and my and my wife’s phones are emergency contact for them - hope nothing happens.

My wife’s luggage got lost by AlItalia… and they are suppose to call her when they find it.  Of course, when you call no one picks up a phone.

The tour operators use phones to communicate meeting points…. and these tours have been booked in advance so now.. if you miss a call, you hope that they will send an email and that you will see it in time otherwise you are in hours and days of customer support calls trying to get your money back because your phone couldn’t receive or make a call.

This is a mess.  I’ve been Tmobile customer for 20 years and I can’t wait to get back to US and switch to a different carrier.  Hope they work better but who knows.  Time will tell.