Solved

Identifying network and band in use on Inseego MIFI m2000

• 15 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

On the Inseego M2000 MIFI device administration web page, on the About tab it says it is using “Technology: 5G”, but on the DIagnostics tab of that “About” panel it says “Band: N0”: there is  no such band supported by T-Mobile (N71 is the only other band I’ve seen, other than “N0”).  What does “Band: N0” mean?  Is this really suggesting it is using 4G bands? If so where can I see which 4g band is being used? I currently have software version 1Z L2.238.1.3 MSDX55MOR-2.11.0.1 1 [2020-11-07 15:36:46] installed.

icon

Best answer by MC1Z 16 December 2020, 14:18

View original

9 replies

I’m seeing the exact same thing with my M2000, using the same firmware.  All the 5G bands begin with “n”, so it seems it’s agreeing with the other status indicators that it’s truly on a 5G band, but it’s certainly not identifying which one.  That’s got to be a bug.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was able to find a spot inside my house where the technology indicator changed from 5G to 4G.  The diagnostics now says “Band: 2” for LTE band 2 (PCS / 1900 Mhz). I agree with MC1Z that the “N0” band is a bug.

Here is my info on this. I’m thinking it may be n0 or n zero? Here’s a paste, There is no o(Zero) band so likely a bug

Band:

n0

Userlevel 2
Badge

thank you for your comments and willingness to make them.  thinking of getting that inseego M2000, so I appreciate hearing how it is working out for others..

I’m an older guy so what I know in general will not fill up a thimble, so give me a little leeway.

But it seems to me everything is a moving target nowadays, and the documentation (and signage) is often poor…. And of course ‘they’ are not generally as transparent as we would hope.

I’m assuming some T-Mobile folks will chime in, once in a while.

Getting definite answers does not seem easy either, so we are left with sharing our random experiences.

So I would like to hear if anyone has done some speed tests and how you track your data usage, although with 100 GB, you should not have to worry.  Figuring out which frequencies are being used, what they are calling them, and what ports may be blocked are other matters.  thx in advance for whatever other info anyone wants to share….I will try to do the same...

Badge

I’ve had similar issues with the band N0 (zero), would like to know what band it’s on when

we’re on 5G. Most likely it’s 600 MHz N71, the low band 5G. We are in the boonies and

don’t get the higher speed higher frequency 5G bands here. There doesn’t seem to be

much difference in speed between LTE and 5G for us. I use a couple of speed tests,

speedof.me and speedtest.net both seem to work OK. I did move the hot spot around

in several places in the house to get the best signal. I use the dB reading on the hot

spot from the computer instead of using the bars. It seems to work OK with three bars

but four is better of course. We get a reading of -94 dB and a s/n of 16 or so and

it gives us 10 to 30 MB down, five to 10 up with very low latency, around 50-80 ms.

Userlevel 2
Badge

under -100 dBa is usually workable for voice conversation….but you mean 10-30 Mbps down, right?, not MB, which would be 8 times faster.  Not trying to be picky, but one thing, I think tech has almost deliberately made it harder to discuss much of this, without rapidly getting into confusion….

Mbps=megabits per second ( a higher number because: 8Mb=1MB (megabyte)- (8 bits in a byte)

a small ‘b’ indicates ‘bits’ and a large ‘B’ indicates ‘bytes’- two different things...

The Telcos have traditionally used megabits to refer to speed (perhaps because it sounds like a bigger number and more impressive).  They have traditionally used GBs (gigabytes of data) to refer to the quantity of data they give you per month... so it’s confusing.  They should really use the same terms (either megabits or megabytes) for both; speed of the connection, and the quantity of data transmitted.  Tell me if this makes sense to you.

From my understanding, 5G, or the lower forms of it, are not always a whole lot faster than 4G with the way it is deployed right now. ( but lower latency does aid 5G to be more responsive and faster). Just as there are several forms of 4G LTE, a lot comes down to topography, how congested the network is, and the type of transmission it employs.

There are also 3 forms of 5G. T-Mobile will be concentrating on the lowest form of 5G on the 600MHz band in rural areas, not urban. Also, from how I understand it, the telcos will deploy the two higher faster forms of 5G only in the denser urban areas.  4G LTE forms of transmission will still be the norm for most areas. (for some time to come)

so unless ATT and Verizon ( and T-Mobile) start building out towers all over America and placing the two upper (shorter range, but faster forms of 5G)  every half a block, ( which they are not going to do except in the densest urban corridors), the real world result will be gradually increasing speeds entirely dependent on your unique location.

Finally, it is about how honest the telcos are.   Much confusion will continue because of the lack of real transparency of the Telcos.  They do not want you to know the details of which bands they are using, or how those bands are named or designated.  For most of us it will remain a complete crap-shoot;  for those who are more savvy, you may be able to figure out how to get the proper devices with the right bands, maybe various tricks to get them to connect to the proper signals or towers, and constant checking to see what kind of speeds we are getting.

I have to say it is rather disconcerting to me, because it seems like the Arpegge perfume commercial,.

“Promise her anything, but give her Arpegge”.  They will continue to promise us anything and everything, but give us exactly what they plan to give us, without really explaining what they are doing.

Badge

Yep, you’re right. I should have stuck with “30 Megs” and everyone would have been on the same page.

Your comments are spot on. We’re in the boonies so low band 5G or LTE will be what we have for

a while. We’re just grateful that we can get T-M service and were able to drop satellite internet.

But I would like to be able to confirm that we’re on the 600 MHz service when we’re on 5G so

if anyone finds out what N zero means, please post on here.

This is a pretty old thread, but I’m seeing the diagnostics screen indicating that I’m connected to band “n0” my M2000   Performance is pretty poor - less than 5mbps down, 500kbps up  Signal strength is -82dBm     Is there any other way to find out what band this actually is?   I don’t see anything in the logs that would help. 

I’m late to this party, My Inseego M2000 about page doesn’t even list the band.   Just shows the signal strength.  Apparently the newer the model, the less relevant info it tells you.  🙄