Solved

Old school prepaid customer trying to upgrade phone to 4G

• 15 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi,

Sorry to try here but the online support chat wouldn’t even talk to me and said I had to call the prepaid phone number instead. Just trying to find out how you go from the old 3G to a new 4G phone. I picked up the cheapest option online but the sim card slot is like a third the size of the sim card in my current phone.

Any idea what I’m supposed to do?

Thanks for any help.

icon

Best answer by gramps28 15 June 2022, 05:56

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You should get a new unactivated sim card with the new phone but being a prepaid user you will need to call TMobile to active the new sim.

Badge

You should get a new unactivated sim card with the new phone but being a prepaid user you will need to call TMobile to active the new sim.

That’s the strangest part really. Despite ordering the phone off the T-mobile site, there is no sim card in the phone or included in the box. I get that I’m a dinosaur still using the old style pay as you go but they really seem to have just abandoned it.

Kind of knew it was a bad sign when I could no longer just pick up a phone ready to go in the stores like the old days.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Go to a store and see if they can swap the sim out for you. Also check to see if you have a 3 in 1 sim by pushing in the middle of your sim . These have been out for some time now.

You can also try going to a Best Buy , that's where I went when I upgraded my phone last month. Great service for me and phone was cheaper than on Tmobile's website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

isnt there a promo going where they can upgrade to a 5G capable phone if their current phone isnt 5G capable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

There is a free phone with bill pay credits but not sure if that works for prepaid plans.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

oh gotcha