Solved

Is there a PrePaid Plan on T-Mobile?

• 4 February 2024
  • 17 replies

Badge

• I used to have a Pre-Pay plan and I could switch to another plan as needed. Evidently, that is no longer available.

• Plans are confusing! Customer Service people use BS and double-speak. I can’t get a straight answer about getting a Pre-Pay or Pay-Go plan. 

US Mobile Plans are a RIPOFF! 

The US has some of the highest mobile costs in the world. In most countries, the cost of a cell is one-third (⅓) or less for the month. 

For example: 500MB in the UK costs about $ 8.80. The least expensive monthly charge is Austria @ $ 5.00.

Furthermore, T-Mobile constantly changes the charges, adds on charges, etc. 

My Magenta plan used to be $ 50.00. Recently, T-Mobile started charging $ 70.00 without authorization or explanation. I use very little data and hardly ever make cell phone calls. $ 840.- per year is a LOT of money for virtually nothing! 

• There are always additional charges in the fine print. 

Simply OUTRAGEOUS! 

icon

Best answer by gramps28 4 February 2024, 23:39

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

@drnewcomb 

Badge

Thanks! I found that info. Sure doesn’t seem any less expensive. 

What little I use the cell phone, in the past, I would put $ 100.00 into a PrePaid account and barely use that in a year. Evidently, T-Mobile figured out they could make MUCH more money by eliminating that plan even if people hardly used their mobiles. 

So, basically we are paying for nothing. 

Like I said, What a RIP-OFF! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You need to check out the Tmobile Connect plan or use a MNVO for cheaper rates.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/connect?&cmpid=MTPR_PB_P_22CNTTMO10_43700069998470811_677903205536&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAiP2tBhBXEiwACslfnpGHgjMjGSCAQ0w8ADVV6m4OJQIN6CYPTK8_E-9-yXb8wcK4b898ABoC1WoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I ported my home phone line to this service, I only pay $45 for 3  months of service.

https://www.krogerwireless.com/

Badge

Thank you very much! At first glance, those plans seem like a more viable option.

Badge

I ported my home phone line to this service, I only pay $45 for 3  months of service.

https://www.krogerwireless.com/

Thank you very much! I’ll check that out as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

• I used to have a Pre-Pay plan and I could switch to another plan as needed. Evidently, that is no longer available.

• Plans are confusing! Customer Service people use BS and double-speak. I can’t get a straight answer about getting a Pre-Pay or Pay-Go plan. 

The US has some of the highest mobile costs in the world. In most countries, the cost of a cell is one-third (⅓) or less for the month. 

For example: 500MB in the UK costs about $ 8.80. The least expensive monthly charge is Austria @ $ 5.00.

My Magenta plan used to be $ 50.00. Recently, T-Mobile started charging $ 70.00 without authorization or explanation. I use very little data and hardly ever make cell phone calls. $ 840.- per year is a LOT of money for virtually nothing! 

Simply OUTRAGEOUS! 

Clearly you have never seens rates for Canada and Australia.  If you think the US rates are high.  You will pay at least 3 times more for a lot less in Canada. compared to T-Mobile.  The rates in Australia and New Zealand make Canada look cheap by compariaon.

Badge

Simply OUTRAGEOUS! 

Clearly you have never seens rates for Canada and Australia.  If you think the US rates are high.  You will pay at least 3 times more for a lot less in Canada. compared to T-Mobile.  The rates in Australia and New Zealand make Canada look cheap by compariaon.

Well, thanks but—I have seen and used plans for Europe and the UK as well as having seen plans for even China. Those are much, much less expensive! 

When I travel, especially abroad I always buy a sim card/plan for an unlocked phone. The cost is extremely low compared to T-Mobile and other U.S. provider  charges, even if included in a plan. 

Furthermore, despite claims of having large coverage areas, T-Mobile has plenty of dead zones and is quite often unusable in remote regions of the U.S. 

Like I said—the U. S. consumer is being RIPPED OFF! (Ditto for Canadian and those in Oz. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Simply OUTRAGEOUS! 

Well, thanks but—I have seen and used plans for Europe and the UK as well as having seen plans for even China. Those are much, much less expensive! 

When I travel, especially abroad I always buy a sim card/plan for an unlocked phone. The cost is extremely low compared to T-Mobile and other U.S. provider  charges, even if included in a plan. 

Furthermore, despite claims of having large coverage areas, T-Mobile has plenty of dead zones and is quite often unusable in remote regions of the U.S. 

Like I said—the U. S. consumer is being RIPPED OFF! (Ditto for Canadian and those in Oz. 

No carrier and even all carriers combined don't cover the complete lower 48, let alone the entire nation.  I travel a lot as well.  I still have my Vodafone UK prepaid SIM that I have had since 2010.  Yeah, their rates are cheaper but the British Pound is also worth a lot more than the US Dollar.  There is also a lot more competition over there for such a small area to cover.  Alaska is 6 times larger than the UK and that is just one state 

Personally, I think the US carriers, especially T-Mobile offer a lot of value for this side of the world.  Especially considering US networks are way ahead of most of the rest of the world in technology for a significantly more massive coverage area.  

Badge

Simply OUTRAGEOUS! 

No carrier and even all carriers combined don't cover the complete lower 48, let alone the entire nation.  I travel a lot as well.  I still have my Vodafone UK prepaid SIM that I have had since 2010.  Yeah, their rates are cheaper but the British Pound is also worth a lot more than the US Dollar.  There is also a lot more competition over there for such a small area to cover.  Alaska is 6 times larger than the UK and that is just one state 

Personally, I think the US carriers, especially T-Mobile offer a lot of value for this side of the world.  Especially considering US networks are way ahead of most of the rest of the world in technology for a significantly more massive coverage area.  

Continental Europe is larger than the U.S. If you count Eastern Europe, then massively larger than the U.S. 

The U.S. dollar is the 10th strongest currency in the world. Regardless, the cost of living in much of the developed world is lower than that of the U. S. while mobile charges are also lower. 

The problem in the U.S. is the lack of competition and, therefore, higher costs with providers gouging consumers in the name of predatory capitalism. Why? Because they can! 

Technology in much of the developed world, Europe, Japan, etc., has often been ahead of the U.S. One of the reasons being that Europe, and much of the rest of the world, used a single GSM network, vs the U.S. having had several, disparate networks including GSM and CDMA—both of which are now being phased out with 4 & 5G. 

Regardless, in most of the developed world mobile phone rates are much less expensive as is the cost of living. 

Please explain what sort of “value” T-Mobile offers compared to carriers abroad.

Do you have suggestions as to how to lower T-Mobile costs in the U.S.? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Europe is made up of how many countries, all of which have their own national carriers that are partnered with many other countries for a continent wide network.  That makes a much bigfer difference on network development when there are dozens of companies doing the work of 3 national carriers we have here.  You do have a choice though.  If you don't like the pricing here or the options.  Don't use or purchase them then.  

Badge

“Europe is made up of how many countries, all of which have their own national carriers that are partnered with many other countries for a continent wide network.  That makes a much bigfer difference on network development when there are dozens of companies doing the work of 3 national carriers we have here.” 

As I said, there is not enough competition in the U.S. So, the carriers are free to gouge the consumer. There are plenty of net articles expounding that fact. 

“You do have a choice though.  If you don't like the pricing here or the options.  Don't use or purchase them then.”

What choice is that—not to have a mobile? 

I ask once more: Do you have a suggestion as to how to lower U.S./T-Mobile costs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

“Europe is made up of how many countries, all of which have their own national carriers that are partnered with many other countries for a continent wide network.  That makes a much bigfer difference on network development when there are dozens of companies doing the work of 3 national carriers we have here.” 

As I said, there is not enough competition in the U.S. So, the carriers are free to gouge the consumer. There are plenty of net articles expounding that fact. 

“You do have a choice though.  If you don't like the pricing here or the options.  Don't use or purchase them then.”

I ask once more: Do you have a suggestion as to how to lower U.S./T-Mobile costs?

The same applies to anything though.  If you don't think what you want is worth the cost.  Don't use or purchase it.  You don't go to a restaurant, order a meal, eat it, and then decide you want to barter on the price of that meal.  

There are plenty of value focused options out there.  You might want to look at Metro by T-Mobile or Mint, which also uses T-Mobile.  It might even be cheaper if you roam on your service from the country you live in.  

You also need to make sure that any international device you intend to use here on T-Mobile is compatible with T-Mobile's implementation of VoLTE as well as the bands the network uses to make and receive calls.  US carriers do not offer 3G service anymore, making compatible VoLTE required for any sort of calls.  

Badge

sayaoran wrote: 

The same applies to anything though.  If you don't think what you want is worth the cost.  Don't use or purchase it.  You don't go to a restaurant, order a meal, eat it, and then decide you want to barter on the price of that meal.  

There are plenty of value focused options out there.  You might want to look at Metro by T-Mobile or Mint, which also uses T-Mobile.  It might even be cheaper if you roam on your service from the country you live in. . .”

I shall check out those options, thanks! 

I never use international services with a U.S. carrier! Far better to purchase a SIM card abroad with a cost-effective plan. 

Just for the record, I rarely eat out in the U.S. because the prices are so over the top, while offerings are often low quality, even in so-called high-end, “gourmet” restaurants. The U.S. over-the-top tipping culture adds an outrageous amount to an already exorbitant bill. 

OTOT—I eat out in Europe or Japan frequently because the food is of higher quality and the prices are lower while service is top-notch most of the time and—tipping is minimal or not expected because waitstaff is paid a living wage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Here's an interesting article about the difference in pricing between USA and Western Europe.

https://www.telefonica.com/en/communication-room/blog/its-all-about-value-not-price-europe-vs-the-u-s/

Badge

Thanks very much! @gramps28 

If so-called “value” translates to consuming massive amounts of gigabytes by listening to music or downloading videos, playing games, etc. then the article’s points may have some relevance. For those of us who do not do these things, there is not much “value” in being forced to purchase mobile plans from large carriers when one will not use the data. 

As for “generating welfare,” research has conclusively shown that excessive data consumption and extensive online presence negatively affect mental health. 

I found this article highlighting/reviewing numerous “cheaper” cell phone plans instructive:

The Cheapest Plan for Every Need”

https://clark.com/cell-phones/best-cell-phone-plans-deals/ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I've read posts about users downloading 1.5 terabytes of data as for me I have a grandfathered plan that I pay $70 a month that's all unlimited but come nowhere near that amount  of data.

And yes the younger generation of the USA is about using as much data possible, posting on social media trying to be the next influencer.