Question

has anyone else been scammed by T-Mobile?

• 29 June 2023
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello, fellow T-Mobile customers. I am merely writing this with the hope that someone at T-Mobile will read it and FINALLY, after SEVEN months of headaches, fix and properly bill me. 

In December of 2022 I turned in my iPhone XR in exchange for the iPhone 14 and added a line because T-Mobile was running an $800 off the new phone promo. I handed my phone over to an associate in the store. Well, we are coming up on July 2023 and every month I have to waste my time fighting to have my bill corrected because every month T-Mobile does not apply the promo (bill credits.) 

Every month whomever helps me promises that they have updated and fixed the error, but the next month it is the same old story. At some point I was told that they never received my trade-in, which is absurd because it was not lost in the mail or something. I handed it over in the store! So, did the associate pocket my trade-in?? I was told they would investigate and follow up with me. I never received a follow-up, and then I was incorrectly billed again.

Nobody at T-Mobile will provide a point of contact, someone who I can communicate with so that I do not have to spend an hour+ every month explaining the problem again with someone new. It is terrible service. I have been more than patient. This is ridiculous.

I would NEVER ever ever recommend T-Mobile to anyone based on this experience. I feel stuck because if I cancel my service with T-Mobile then they will say that I still owe the balance of the iPhone 14. I am happy to pay the small amount that I might actually owe at this point, but they might say I am working off the full cost of a new phone, vs the $300 that it should be because of the promo. 

T-Mobile, please fix my account! Please bill me properly! At this point I feel that you have stolen my iPhone XR and are ripping me off/trying to steal more from me by not honoring the promo. 

36 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m in the same boat with the same promotion. I’m just counting the days until it’s paid in full and I can switch. I’ve asked them so many times to help with this with nothing but empty promises and people telling me it’s going to get done but never does. I have no faith they will make it right ever. I’d honestly just pay it and be done but I have 2 phones that are missing this promotion and it is a bit pricy for something that was supposed to almost be free. I can’t wait to leave and go back to Verizon. 

Userlevel 1

In December of 2022 I turned in my iPhone XR in exchange for the iPhone 14 and added a line because T-Mobile was running an $800 off the new phone promo. I handed my phone over to an associate in the store. Well, we are coming up on July 2023 and every month I have to waste my time fighting to have my bill corrected because every month T-Mobile does not apply the promo (bill credits.) 

Every month whomever helps me promises that they have updated and fixed the error, but the next month it is the same old story. At some point I was told that they never received my trade-in, which is absurd because it was not lost in the mail or something. I handed it over in the store! So, did the associate pocket my trade-in?? I was told they would investigate and follow up with me. I never received a follow-up, and then I was incorrectly billed again.

Nobody at T-Mobile will provide a point of contact, someone who I can communicate with so that I do not have to spend an hour+ every month explaining the problem again with someone new. It is terrible service. I have been more than patient. This is ridiculous.

I would NEVER ever ever recommend T-Mobile to anyone based on this experience. I feel stuck because if I cancel my service with T-Mobile then they will say that I still owe the balance of the iPhone 14. I am happy to pay the small amount that I might actually owe at this point, but they might say I am working off the full cost of a new phone, vs the $300 that it should be because of the promo. 

T-Mobile, please fix my account! Please bill me properly! At this point I feel that you have stolen my iPhone XR and are ripping me off/trying to steal more from me by not honoring the promo. 

Wow!  I am going through the EXACT same thing as you. I came on board with T-Mobile in December of 2021 and turned in an XR64 to get the “free phone” upgrade to an iPhone 13.  Twenty (20) months later, and I am still being billed $23.17 per month for my new “FREE” phone, and T-Mobile kept my XR.

This is NOT an honest company, and their Customer Service sucks!  AVOID T-Mobile like the plague.

Userlevel 1

I'm in the same boat. Was promised in June that the phone would be free and I am still waiting for my account to be sorted out. Now I see the writing on the wall that I am going to have to pay for the phone to get rid of the extra charges. This is ridiculous and they should not be allowed to do this to anyone. I should have taken a picture of the advertisement and read the fine print before I handed over my old phone.. to late now I know next time buyer beware 😏 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I recently came over to t-mobile.  I called the sales lines to see what I could be offered to switch.  Here is what I was told over the phone (it was recorded but they say they can’t find it) 

1.  4 phones included at no charge.
  2. unlimited talk, text, and data.  That’s all I want.
  3. Sales person gave me a price of $148 per month all in with some credit coming back after the first three months.  
  4. I have never seen a “credit back” and I assume they just feel like people forget and let it go as it’s automatically debited.

I have never received a bill even close to that amount.  I have called repeatedly and asked them to get in touch with the sales person to try to resolve the issue.  I am repeatedly being told that no one inside t-mobile can actually call anyone outside of the service department.  How is that possible?  In our world of tech and with a phone company you are telling me we can’t call anyone?  I’d stay away from this company or at the very least go into the store and not agree to anything until you have a copy of the agreement and the total of the monthly bill.  I also would not agree to any promotions that would be credited back as that won’t happen either.  Total scam.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

I feel your pain! Dealing with the same thing. At one point they acknowledged my phones were returned and credited my bill. Next month I was billed full price again.  After calling again they said there was no record of my phones being returned!  I can't wait till the phones are paid off and I can switch carriers. I miss sprint customer service! 

Userlevel 1

I am going to contact the Better Business Bureau! I’m tired of wasting my precious time on them. More than aggravated!! Can’t wait to switch back!

Userlevel 1

Yes , I got scammed as well . Was promised a $145/ Month phone bill. It’s 175 a month . Was promised a free Apple Watch if I payed the plan … I’m paying for the watch . I called Tmobile and they said I have to fight it out with the store that sold it . They took zero responsibility when I called the customer service !!! Ugh . 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Everything I read in the above comments happened to me except I was never told about the trial period. Here are all the things T-Mobile lied to me about which violates atleast 4 of the CTIA codes. I was told my phone bill would be $144 for 3 lines because I would receive the first responders discount. I questioned it because no businesses appreciate nurses and I told him that and his exact words were "here at tmobile we do". I was told one of the lines gets a free upgrade but he didn't tell me that upgrade locked mee into a 2 year contract unless I return the phone in 14 days. I also gave him the address where I stay half the week to make sure I had service there and he said " yes, you will have T-Mobile's excellent 5G service". Not only do I not have ANY service at that location but I don't have service for sn hour of my drive. I called in every day I was at the address that had service and was never told about the right to cancel and return the phone or that I would never have service. Instead I was constantly lied to saying they are working on the tower. I was given the same answer for all the town I went through to get to that location that ironically every tower was down in all those towns as well. Several months into me paying for services I don't receive I spoke with someone that confirmed there is no service out there but to cancel I'd have to pay over $1k for the 'free" phone. My bill is now $100 more and I have no service and some of the things I have been told on my weekly phone calls to T-Mobile are "atleast you have service half the time" or they just say "I'm sorry". I didn't think there could be a carrier worse than the one I switched from but man was I wrong. Atleast I always had service no matter where I was. My question is why do I have to continue fulfilling my obligation when TMobile doesn't have to demonstrate accountability. My next step will be to file a report with the FCC, submit a complaint to the attorney General' office of consumer affairs, and turn them in to the better business bureau. I the company's code of conduct and how they claim to treat is 100% contradictory to reality. I make sure to tell friends and family about my experience with T-Mobile but I am just one person so eventhough I kept a few people from switching and got a few people to switch from Tmobile, it's not enough to make a difference.

Hello, fellow T-Mobile customers. I am merely writing this with the hope that someone at T-Mobile will read it and FINALLY, after SEVEN months of headaches, fix and properly bill me. 

they did the same thing to me. I will be calling and canceling. They can try to bill me and send me to Collections it doesn’t matter it’s easy to get cells phones off your record as they are notorious for ripping people off 

Similar story, though possibly worse.  Upgraded account, purchased a iPhone 15, traded in iPhone 11.  UPS 'lost' the new phone during delivery.  They actually put it in writing.  Nearly 4 months later, still being billed for the iPhone 15 we never received.  Fortunately, UPS admitted to the loss before we turned over our trade in.  I call T-Mobile every week or two, talk to the nicest people who are extremely apologetic and promise of investigations and an immediate fix, and then nothing happens.   This is either an intentional scam or complete incompetence.  This is not rocket science!  I have completely lost my confidence and trust in T-Mobile.

Same pattern here.  The only reason my wife changed her older iPhone with an iPhone 15 was due to a “special promo” that they would discount ~$350 for her phone. I haven’t seen any indication of the promised promo and now their customer support says that there were no applicable special promos for her.  They said her phone’s trade-in value was $5 but they actually gave her $25 credit (so I should be happy??). Look, she would not have traded her perfectly clean and functioning phone for $25 if they told me that at the store!!  I tried to fix this issue at their several TMOBILE stores and also via several support calls but no luck so far.  The senior management has reviewed the situation and there’s nothing else they can do for us.  

Also, if you’re trying out their 5G home internet service and return it to a store, be sure to call their customer support and have them cancel the line.  Otherwise, you’ll be charged even when you return their device within the trial period.  Store employees won’t tell you about the “right procedure” and it will be a hassle to fix the billing problem.  I ended up paying a payment overdue fee for the home internet service that I’ve never used. 

Lesson learned: I no longer trust any of their promos or trials. One more pain and I’ll switch back to AT&T.  I’d be happy to pay a bit higher price than spending the time and energy to deal with this nonsense.  TMOBILE, to answer your question, I would definitely not recommend your service to my friends and family.  

T mobile is horrible and very expensive!! I purchased my iPhone 14 Pro around May/June did not pay it in full I was doing payments and I still am till this day. A few months ago I noticed my bill go up and I seen 2 iPhone 15 pros were added to my account when I asked them about it they said I purchased the phone with a check signed “Jane doe” I communicated that I did not purchase those phone and I never had those phones and I told them to transfer me to their fraud department. But first in my understanding how can y’all let someone on my account sign a check under the name Jane Doe ???? I just feel like the payment should’ve never even been able to go through they ended up cancelling those phones on my line but my billing was still high .i  was paying $174 a month for a “free “ Apple Watch and my iPhone 14 Pro and since they had those phones on my acct I am now paying 263 monthly 

this is almost the exact thing happened with me all the way down to the fact I left my phone at the store and for like 3 months until I finally threw a fit they quit charging me for it, that’s when I found out that not all T-Mobile is not the same. Some stores are satellite stores and some are directly owned by T-Mobile! I was like “are you serious?” Who knew? were you ever able to settle this issue?

Same scam happened with me. They offered me a promotion for $800/- credit for upgrading my phone just before Christmas. I signed up for the promo and two different agents on two different days confirmed I have the promo but now when I am ready to turn in my old phone now they are saying I am not eligible for the promo and I will have to pay the full price for the phone and they don’t see anything in the system and I cannot return the new devices since I am past the “buyer’s remorse” period. Very scammy move. Please be very careful. 

Userlevel 1

Yes I have been.  The stores operate separately from the online and phone support.  T Mobile has been sued for certain sales practices.  The coverage map here does not coincide with its actual range.  I’ve had to call at 20 times about my bill.  Never received rebates I was promised.   All calls are to foreign call centers that have poor communication skills.  There’s no approachable management.  Even terminating my service didn’t phase them.  I was so hopeful. This weekend alone I wasted two hrs on hold and having to repeatedly explain my issue.

This thread should tell you all you need to know.   Not any attempt to reconcile customer’s issues.  It’s the new state of tech.  They’re not beholden to anyone.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes I have been.  The stores operate separately from the online and phone support.  T Mobile has been sued for certain sales practices.  The coverage map here does not coincide with its actual range.  I’ve had to call at 20 times about my bill.  Never received rebates I was promised.   All calls are to foreign call centers that have poor communication skills.  There’s no approachable management.  Even terminating my service didn’t phase them.  I was so hopeful. This weekend alone I wasted two hrs on hold and having to repeatedly explain my issue.

This thread should tell you all you need to know.   Not any attempt to reconcile customer’s issues.  It’s the new state of tech.  They’re not beholden to anyone.   

hard to do when the site itself is primarily peer to peer assistance..

Userlevel 1

Tried that.  T-Mobile is pathetic.  I’m going to start leaving reviews wherever I can.  Their reps lie one after the other.  Wish there was a good lawyer keeping track of all of these complaints.  A class action suit is probably the only thing that might get their attention, though doubtful.  Thanks.  

Badge

they did the same thing to me. I will be calling and canceling. They can try to bill me and send me to Collections it doesn’t matter it’s easy to get cells phones off your record as they are notorious for ripping people off 

I think we should all try contacting legal department, Better Business Bureau, FCC, and then starting a class action law suit! I'm exhausted from dealing with T-Mobile managers that never call back, keep their promises, or resolve anything. I've been with T-Mobile for TEN YEARS, but now they're costing me my small business. 

Wow!  I am going through the EXACT same thing as you. I came on board with T-Mobile in December of 2021 and turned in an XR64 to get the “free phone” upgrade to an iPhone 13.  Twenty (20) months later, and I am still being billed $23.17 per month for my new “FREE” phone, and T-Mobile kept my XR.

This is NOT an honest company, and their Customer Service sucks!  AVOID T-Mobile like the plague.

2024 same old scam in mt. Pleasant texas

I am about to be cut off. They lied to me about 55 plus program fees and also lied about payment arrangements. Sent terrible two weeks after promise. And they will not accept payment. I am elderly and disabled. They are abusive. Willing to join any class action suit.

I am about to be cut off. They lied to me about 55 plus program fees and also lied about payment arrangements. Sent terrible two weeks after promise. And they will not accept payment. I am elderly and disabled. They are abusive. Willing to join any class action suit.

They chased me out of the mt. Pleasant, tx store and I was willing to pay for the device. Still am just waiting on a bill to unlock my phone. Worst mistake ever

Same goes here. I see I’m a little late but this is also a fairly recent issue. I tried to switch over and get the “up to 800 switch” thing and the $200 port in. I got the $200 port in 3 months later which I had to use on my bill because my “free iPhone 13 on us” was getting charged like a 140 a month instead of the quoted $99 and still have yet to see any money from the switch. Verizon took the $700 out of my account on 12/23/23 so I was kinda just floundering around, I went to the store a couple of weeks ago to close the account and someone said they will put in a request for me to receive a $550 store credit which I never got either so I will just be dropping the $500 to close the account and be done. Worst customer service I’ve ever received 

Badge

Tmobile said I was getting an 800 dollar credit for my trade in in april of 2023 along with a free watch. Theyve been charging me full price for both and claim i still owe them 800 dollars even tho i gave them the trade in  for 800 and nearly 500 cash for the S23 Ultra. Have spent about 3 hrs a week with customer service and given them even more money and still im being charged monthly 

Yes , I got scammed as well . Was promised a $145/ Month phone bill. It’s 175 a month . Was promised a free Apple Watch if I payed the plan … I’m paying for the watch . I called Tmobile and they said I have to fight it out with the store that sold it . They took zero responsibility when I called the customer service !!! Ugh . 

Yeah SAME exact situation happened to me except instead of paying $150 im paying $313

Yeah SAME exact situation happened to me except instead of paying $150 im paying $313

I am on my third month of having my money stolen from T-Mobile.  They are charging me the same amount for a promotion that started in December of 2023. How is this not a lawsuit yet, they are stealing and misrepresenting their pricing. I am heading back over to the store today. I may just need to have my attorney get involved.