Question

GlobalProtect VPN not working with T-Mobile

Show first post

56 replies

By the way solved means you have a solution to the problem not that you finally figured out what the problem actually is

Got my Tmobile Home Internet yesterday and having same issue, will call Tmobile to rollback the firmware for Global VPN fix. Any issues on network speed by rolling back the firmware?

No need to rollback. Update to the latest 1609 version instead.

Yes, called Tmobile and updated my firmware to .1609 and Global VPN works now.
But I do notice that my speed is reduced when connected to the Global VPN, download speed reduces by a factor 2x and upload speed reduces by a factor of 10x. So when working on my remote desktop through VPN connection it is choppy/laggy.
Hoping this is a temporary issue hate to switch back to spectrum as Tmobile is faster and cheaper.  

So anything that's a live app through the tunnel will be like that cause of the translations needed to take place it cause some packet loss in the process

Badge

Just checked this morning and I see that my T-Mobile Internet Gateway is now on the newer 1609 version. My GlobalProtect VPN now works with no issue (so far)! <knock on wood> I am now able to use Remote Desktop to my desktop computer in the office as well as access internal work sites.

Thanks for the info, KnappTime2515.  I have the same problem and I think knowing that IPv6 is the problem might let me fix it.  I’m using my own router between the T-Mobile gateway and my computers.  I think maybe having my router accept IPv6 traffic but use IPv4 on the LAN might work around the problem.  If you have a router available, you might want to try the same thing.  It would be really nice if T-Mobile gave us the option of not using IPv6, though.

Got my Tmobile Home Internet yesterday and having same issue, will call Tmobile to rollback the firmware for Global VPN fix. Any issues on network speed by rolling back the firmware?

Badge

How can I tell which firmware version I’m on? I looked in the TM Home Internet app under More→ Gateway Info and it says my version is 1.00.16. That doesn’t look like anything others are posting. 

@kiki25, is your MTU still lowered to 1350?

Thanks!

Same issue.

Well looks like two years later and this is still an issue…

Tried calling T-Mobile tech support and they couldn't downgrade or upgrade my firmware. So they put in a ticket to engineering. Fingers crossed. 

Good, my support guy wouldn't even do that. Then I got a survey where I said that I was dissatisfied and that my issue remains, they asked if they could get in contact, to which I said yes... But they never dis

I am on *338 firmware and data traffic via VPN  (via Global Protect) does not work. I tried changing MTU size to value which works with pings (and below) and still no help. Once I disconnect from VPN (used mostly for remote work), everything fine . 

I’ll be calling T Mobile support tomorrow. Not sure what to tell them.

Same issue.

Just FYI, adjusting MTU as mentioned on this topic, resolved for me

Fixed immediately … T-Mobile tech rep advised they need to downgrade my gateway firmware and they set to stop automatic update to prevent reverting to the update. Fixed it immediately. Unreal that he was only T-Mobile rep who had this knowledge,

needed to downgrade to ..,,168 from ..,178

see below 

WRONG;

Correct firmware version:

This solved my problem and the T-Mobile rep took care of this very quickly for me when I called and asked to have my firmware update rolled back.  Thanks for sharing!!!

For ordinary computer users understanding how VPN works is not a fun task, while most Americans even never heard the word. If you are a T-Mobile user, VPN setting issues can be resolved without inventing a new wheel or spending a whole day for settings unless you enjoy it. 

This was my solution which was reasonably quick and trouble-free. After I read articles above posted by other frustrated users (or grateful pioneers) I called T-Mobile tech support and pinpointed what I should ask for. The tech guy understood the task immediately and jumped into the “upgrading” a feature in my modem. He called back about 20 min later to declare the success. I like T-Mobile once again.

I contacted T-Mobile support. They indicated the software on my router had been updated to latest version which had issues with global protect. They rolled me back to previous version and it started working. It took 2-3 days, but I have been using it since Friday and all seems to be working. 

not sure if they did anything else that I am not aware of. 

hope this helps. 

My symptom was a little unique, but it might help somebody else with the same issue.

I was able to successfully connect thru GlobalConnect, however occasionally I would lose internet connectivity.  Of greater importance, I was unable to maintain a RDP connection to Windows Servers (2016 and 2019).  I could connect to the server, however it would drop after 20-30 seconds.  RDP connections to Workstations running Windows10 worked fine.

T-Mobile support downgraded my firmware to .0168 (as mentioned above).  My RDP sessions are now working as expected.

Also as mentioned above, as soon as I said “Global Protect” to the T-Mobile support person, they immediately knew what to do (downgrade the firmware).

Just tried changing the MTU for my Ethernet and WiFi to 1300 and it worked! Thanks for the tip! You either have to get your IT to go in and do it on your computer or if you have Admin rights on your computer like i did you can go in to the command prompt and follow the steps GlobalProtect-PlayNICE listed earlier

Thats great. I tried that, but it didn't work. I first tried the 1300, did not do anything, but when I changed it to 1350 it worked for a couple of minutes. After that it didn't. No Internet when connected to LAN.

Sorry, VPN

Lowering the MTU to 1350 worked for me !

I ended up calling T-Mobile support, and was pleasantly surprised to be quickly connected to a knowledgeable support rep. who instantly -- as soon as I said the words “GlobalProtect VPN” -- knew what to do.  He rolled back my firmware to the prior version (168) and my issues immediately resolved.

It took a while, but I finally got my IT dept to lower the MTU for me.  They refused to use netsh for some reason, but they were able to set it through group policy, or maybe it was a registry setting, I forget.  Anyway, they set it to 1350, and everything seems to be working now.

Yes, called Tmobile and updated my firmware to .1609 and Global VPN works now.
But I do notice that my speed is reduced when connected to the Global VPN, download speed reduces by a factor 2x and upload speed reduces by a factor of 10x. So when working on my remote desktop through VPN connection it is choppy/laggy.
Hoping this is a temporary issue hate to switch back to spectrum as Tmobile is faster and cheaper.  

When I spoke with escalated tech support, they mentioned that the issue between VPN and T mobile home Internet persists. So I need to switch to another Service provider, unfortunately. 

It was working fine until three months ago. Until then I had only one network that is 2.4 GHz. Then I changed it to a 5 GHz , that's when problem started. Ever since then, I tried multiple things. Reset router to factory settings, created 2  separate networks for 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz. 

I tried connecting to the router using a LAN cable, it worked for a few minutes, but eventually that also stopped. 

I spoke with a T-Mobile support person on 19-FEB-2024 who said the MTU setting needs to be 1300. This is what I did and it works for me (W10); your mileage may vary.

1. Disconnect from GlobalProtect VPN
  2. Open Windows Control Panel
  3. Open Network and Sharing Center
  4. Click Change Adapter Settings
  5. Right-click the ethernet connection with the subheading PANGP Virtual Ethernet Adapter Secure
  6. Select Properties
  7. Click Yes
  8. Click Configure
  9. Click the Advanced tab
  10. Click MTU
  11. Change the value to 1300
  12. Click OK
  13. Close all windows
  14. Connect to GlobalProtect VPN and wait several minutes to ensure you don’t lose internet connectivity

Just got T-Mobile internet to replace my art 4g internet. Same issue. Will not work with global protect. 

did T-Mobile provide any kind of update. The speed is way better than att but if I can’t use it for work sending back the router and cancelling the service. 

interesting I did ask them about restrictions with vpn’s as I encountered that problem with satellite and they did not raise this issue. 

just curious if the router solved the problem.